The NEW Kohler

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My lord all this just asking how much did the installation of a Kohler branded engine added to the cost.

Oh as Hammer said it is stupid of TSC to demand the customer to return to the TSC store of purchase when it is 100+ miles away. They just are avoiding to honor their warranty that is the problem. It like my Briggs part distributor refusing to honor the Briggs parts warranty and then telling it has to be done thru a local which none around here will honor either. I have since dropped that distributor.

I would not put it past a Kohler dealer refusing to honor the warranty either as here the ones I contacted refused to honor the warranty; unless, they sold the equipment themselves. No wonder so many after market parts are sold and install lately.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Also have a nice day. Glad it's good to go. Did not say you had no idea, you just did not tell me any diagnostics. A picture of me is not me - likewise a picture of a carb that looks like what you want to replace is not necessarily the same. Just tried to help as that is the goal here. When I replace parts from on-line sources, I match the part number.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the big problem is TS probably bought the splitter directly from China like a lot of big Aussie retailers do .
This of course eliminates the local distributors so TS make 100% more profit even if they sell it for 10% less than the locally distributed model.
So when there is a problem Kohler US have the right to refuse to pay for warranty as it was not bought from them, it was bought from Kohler China so the warranty is Kohler China's problem .
Then there is the question of weather it is in fact a Kohler engine ( foreign made ) or just a Kohler sticker .
WE get a lot of gear, generators & water pumps down here with faked Honda engines.
Again directly imported from China or India so the retailer just claims they were sold the units as being "Honda" powered and if they have a weybill that says Honda on it they are absolved from any responsibility for the engine being a genuine Honda .
Honda Aust have taken all of the big retailers to court to little effect as the best they ever get is an order that it not be advertised as "Honda powered" and the Honda stickers be removed , not much of a result for hundreds of thousands in legal fees
I probably get a fake Honda a month some in during the fire season from a customer wondering why their $ 500 Honda / Onga fire set won't pump water.
I show them the wholesale price of the Honda engine ( $ 600 to $ 1200 ) plus the price of a genuine Onga pump ( $ 800 to $ 2000 ) then ask them what made them think their set was genuine .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bring it to me and fixed in 30 mins. Charged $40. Splitting wood that afternoon.
Tractor Supply is not a Kohler service center. Local TS said take it back to where she bought it a hundred miles away. If they did take it back they would drop it off as TS would send it to whomever does their service work and then drive back a hundred miles to pick it up in a week or so if lucky. You obviously think i have no idea what the f**k i am doing. That's fine. Have a nice day.
Hammer I get customers like that try to tell how to fix the machine or engine. I just look at them and "So why are you here if you know what needs to done?". I even got rid one customer this year that was insisting it only took 30 minutes to remove, repair, and re-install a Kohler horizontal engine on a Cub Cadet shaft drive mower. It took me nearly 2 hrs of fighting rusted bolts to get the job done. He came back in whining about the bill. So I reworked the bill and charged for the parts and told him to hit the road and don't come back. Then he tried making out he was just kidding around. No difference the insult was done.

I understand it can be a pain to do warranty work if you are dealer as the OEM are nitpickers. So I have never sign up to be a warranty center until last month as it was the only way to get my HG parts and transaxles warranteed. Since HG will not send a copy of the warranty policy I will bill the customer upfront and refund them when I get refunded.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Warranty won't pay for a dirty carb. It is not a defect in material and workmanship.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hammer I get customers like that try to tell how to fix the machine or engine. I just look at them and "So why are you here if you know what needs to done?". I even got rid one customer this year that was insisting it only took 30 minutes to remove, repair, and re-install a Kohler horizontal engine on a Cub Cadet shaft drive mower. It took me nearly 2 hrs of fighting rusted bolts to get the job done. He came back in whining about the bill. So I reworked the bill and charged for the parts and told him to hit the road and don't come back. Then he tried making out he was just kidding around. No difference the insult was done.

I understand it can be a pain to do warranty work if you are dealer as the OEM are nitpickers. So I have never sign up to be a warranty center until last month as it was the only way to get my HG parts and transaxles warranteed. Since HG will not send a copy of the warranty policy I will bill the customer upfront and refund them when I get refunded.
I was approached once to be a warranty center. No thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Warranty won't pay for a dirty carb. It is not a defect in material and workmanship.
That I know I have been working on equipment for 40+ yrs to not have learned one or two things. But if it is straight out the box then it should be as someone didn't do their job.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
That I know I have been working on equipment for 40+ yrs to not have learned one or two things. But if it is straight out the box then it should be as someone didn't do their job.
We have seen 8 new carbs not function straight out of the box, mostly as a parts issue - storage. Ethanol is a solvent, not well liked by rubber tipped floats. We have added Marvel's mystery oil in our fuel treatment as a lube to valves, float needles, and rings. This has helped greatly. We also often when we remember give a shot of fogging oil into carb fuel inlet and a shake before mounting a carb. Floats remain an issue, and I think these spring loaded float needles make stuck needles an even bigger problem for stuck closed needles. The Government no longer has to pay farmer's not to grow corn, so no time soon will we see the end of ethanol!!