The $1 Craftsman

jakesmurray

Threads
Re: 60s Craftsman Eager-1 Project

Got the transaxle in today! It took a little fabrication on my part, but nothing too bad. Still have to put a new pulley on and route the belt. Not to mention putting the engine on. I also got the first coat of primer down on the body, as well as installed the front wheels.

new trans 1.JPG

new trans 2.JPG

jakesmurray

Threads
As you can see, I had the title changed. I think it fits better... :biggrin:

I've made substantial progress within the past week. Here's a list:

-Finished painting body
-Installed rear wheels
-Installed motor
-Wired entire tractor, including push button ignition and kill switch
-Installed new fuel tank fitting
-New fuel lines w/ shutoff valve
-Installed seat
-Installed new battery

There are still plenty of small things to do, including tuning the carb, finalizing the belt system, modifying the hood to get it to fit, etc. But this thing now runs and drives! For anyone who is interested in how I wired things, I have attached the wiring diagram that I drew up and used. It's a very simple and effective system IMO, and I really like the push button ignition. See pics below. :thumbsup:

motor installed.JPG

new engine.JPG

new dash.JPG

new fuel fitting.JPG

wiring diagram.JPG

Pumper54

Threads
Looking good. Clean, simple and functional.
Tom

jakesmurray

Threads
Thanks. It's been fun. A lot of work, but fun. It'll be in the barn for a few weeks though, as I have several things around the house I need to get accomplished...

jakesmurray

Threads
I got the brake hooked up and the hood trimmed to fit around the bigger Briggs engine. I decided I'm going to go the off road mower route with this machine. I'm going to add a foot throttle and maybe even lock the differential at some point. I had this thing back behind my house in a wooded area yesterday and it did great! It pulled the hills and there were only a couple of spots where I started spinning, but I was able to get out easily. I really was impressed by the capability of this thing. :thumbsup:

hood on.jpg

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I went to a local FFA auction Saturday and picked up this bad boy for a whopping dollar. It has a little 8 hp Tecumseh in it, which I believe is original to the tractor. I also picked up a Yard Machines rear engine rider with no deck. It has a Briggs 10.5 hp I plan on swapping into the Craftsman. It set me back $15. I've attached a picture of both machines. What do you guys think? I plan on removing the deck from the Craftsman and using it as a little utility tractor around my place. It has a 4 speed transmission, which I have yet to test, but it shifts into each gear fine (3 forward, 1 reverse). Feel free to post thoughts/opinions. :cool:

View attachment 28280

Well, first off you paid too much. But, you can get carried away at an auction.

Have fun!
I bought two push mowers today for $3 each (I know, paid too much)
The first one I got started
Bought a Troy-Bilt weedeater for $5 and I did nothing to it...it started

PUSH

Threads
Wow
And I thought my brand new $46 mower was a deal..
Great thread - nice job on mower