The $1 Craftsman

jakesmurray

Threads
Re: 60s Craftsman Eager-1 Project

Thanks Tom! That's interesting, I'll have to check that out...

jakesmurray

Threads

I may have to try that sometime...

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Been following this thread ...... you guys are having a ball , glad to see guys gettin down n dirty, got a couple of murrays myself and it's fun workin on them ....... waiting to see more pics .....ya'll take care n stay safe ......... Boobala...:thumbsup:

jakesmurray

Threads

Thanks Boobala, yes we are having a good time, I hit a major speed bump this weekend, update coming...

jakesmurray

Threads

Took two steps forward and one step back this weekend. The good: I got all of the wheels and the hood painted. They look good. The bad: One of the rear wheels would not come off the axle shaft. I had to resort to putting a 2X4 on the back of the wheel and hitting it with a hammer, and in doing so, it removed the wheel, but it ripped the axle shaft right out of the tranny. I was super bummed. Then getting the shaft out of the wheel was another hour of cutting and grinding. Luckily the wheel went unscathed through all of this, but the tranny is toast, it would need an entire new shaft. I'm thinking I'll take this opportunity to upgrade to a 5 speed transmission, I have a couple of leads already on craigslist. I've attached a few pics.

paint.JPG

tag.JPG

oil.JPG

axle shaft.JPG

remnants.JPG

Pumper54

Threads

That is a total bummer about the tranny, hopefully you can replace it with a good one. Supposed to be fairly easy to rebuild.
Tom

jakesmurray

Threads

That is a total bummer about the tranny, hopefully you can replace it with a good one. Supposed to be fairly easy to rebuild.
Tom

It really is... :thumbdown:

I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these style: trans.jpg

I can tell you this, the new axle shafts will get lathered up real nice with anti-seize before I put the wheels on! :laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Tom

See my post in .... NEW POSTS .... PEERLESS / TECUMSEH transaxles

Also see ...... ( surplus center.com ) type transaxle in their searchbox ...... might find a NEW trans .....CHEEEEEP ! Boobala :thumbsup: