That's quality right there

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not their fault.
They made WHAT THE MARKET WANTED TO PAY FOR
Unfortunately when you are servicing the cheapest end of the market, the second some one offers a cheaper engine your sales plumet.
Bottom end profitability requires massive volumes because the margins are very thin so a 5% loss in volume will send you to the wall
And Chinese engines are about 1/2 the price of Tecumseh engines.
Down here Tecumsehs were so cheap that mower shops replaced your engine rater than doing simple repairs
Then they swap the blower housings so it looks like they fixed your old engine .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am a fan of the old cast iron Tecumseh engines. Still have 2 of them on equipment that runs. It was sad to see how they, just like Briggs, went downhill because if the market.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No one to blame but our own greedy selfish selves
We want more & more for less & less and never think about the consequences of our actions
Down here the big supermarkets started a milk war where milk ended up being retailed for less than the production cost
Now there would be very few Australians who could not afford to pay $ 1.50 / l for milk
But did they spur the supermarket branded cheap milk & buy full price dairy branded milk ?
Nope they happily saved $ 4 week on milk and then complained to the government when all of the milk processors went broke along with the farmers, of which quite a few shoved the 12 gauge in their mouths and blew their brains apart .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the valve guide that worn? Or does it even have guides, meaning the block is either severely worn or the hole for the valve stem was mislocated from day one?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The valves are tight in the guides no slop. The thing runs but the grind in the valve seats is really off center

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How could they have ground the valve seat off center? I've ground a few valve seats and the stone is guided by a collet-type tool that centers itself in the valve guide.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best i can tell the holes bored in the block for guides not matched up with the seats and a pilot in the guide was used to grind the seats. The seat is paper thin on the cylinder side.

Mower King

Threads
Best i can tell the holes bored in the block for guides not matched up with the seats and a pilot in the guide was used to grind the seats. The seat is paper thin on the cylinder side.
At the first glance of that pic, before you explained it, it almost looks like it has too small of valves in it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not their fault.
They made WHAT THE MARKET WANTED TO PAY FOR
Unfortunately when you are servicing the cheapest end of the market, the second some one offers a cheaper engine your sales plumet.
Bottom end profitability requires massive volumes because the margins are very thin so a 5% loss in volume will send you to the wall
And Chinese engines are about 1/2 the price of Tecumseh engines.
Down here Tecumsehs were so cheap that mower shops replaced your engine rater than doing simple repairs
Then they swap the blower housings so it looks like they fixed your old engine .
I don't buy that.about people wanting cheap engines. Most people have over $1,000 cell phones. All you need is a dial tone LOL.

slomo