That safety device underneath the ride-on lawn mower?

adan

Threads
  • / That safety device underneath the ride-on lawn mower?
Sorry adan for being a wise guy.so I guess in your part of the world not many folks have lawns that need mowing? russ

Hi russ! You're absolutely right. Lawn mowing isn't an "in" thing here. But Del Monte, an American company that maintains 24,000 hectares of pineapples, mows a lot. They have a field in the main camp the size of a dozen soccer fields planted with carabao grass. They use a ride-on mower to cut the grass. That's what brought my fascination about lawn mowing.

173abn

Threads
hi adan, come to think of it when I was in Vietnam I never saw a mower.My first job when I got out of the service was for DelMontes sorting cans,didn't realize there was a place in the Philippines by that name. russ

adan

Threads
Hi Russ! There's no place in the Philippines officially called 'Del Monte.' The name 'Del Monte' refers to the company that operates 24,000 hectares of pineapple plantation in the northern part of Bukidnon, a province in the southernmost island of the country. It can be the same 'Del Monte' that you worked for right after Vietnam :) I grew up in that plantation.

We used to watch a lot of American movies in this hall*for free, until the movie authorities in the city an hour away complained:

Main-Building-of-Del-Monte-Philippines-520x345.jpg

Anyhow, check out the logo.

173abn

Threads
Howdy adan,looks like the same logo. Pineapples are one of my favorites.Wish I could grow them. how long before you retire?

adan

Threads
Pineapples grow well in cool tropical climate, just like this one. It's located 2,000 feet above sea level. Americans established this in the 1920s. My retirement is still a long way to go . . . 22 years to age 65 . . . but I'm looking at options for retiring early.