Tecumseh to Briggs & Stratton engine oil question.

LaWn GuY

Threads
As u all know I had a problem with my 13 HP Tecumseh Engine where the starter holes on the block were completely stripped out, I tried heli-coils multiple times worked temporary. So I got fed up and called them to pick It up and fix It. So 3 weeks later they call saying there going to drop It off tomorrow (yesterday) and It's going to be $402.00 I say ok. So the guy drives It In my garage and parks It. He's telling me what all they did. He said they put another engine In said the old wasn't fixable. So they put a 90's Craftsman Briggs & Stratton In 12 HP. When he was unloading It off the trailer he started It up and It started the second he turned the key :laughing:. But anyway It's a 12 HP B&S flat head engine. My question Is I don't know how to check the oil theres no dipstick only a little cap with 2 little holes on the top. Heres a pic I dont know how to check It.Oil filler cap B&S.jpg

gainestruk

Threads
Just unscrew that plug and fill to almost running out, it might have a small dipstick on the plug if so fill to high mark.
Years ago almost all small engines had that plug that you just fill to almost running out, keep an eye on it and keep it full.

redmondjp

Threads
Just unscrew that plug and fill to almost running out, it might have a small dipstick on the plug if so fill to high mark.
Years ago almost all small engines had that plug that you just fill to almost running out, keep an eye on it and keep it full.

Yup.

And use straight 30W oil as those engines work very hard and get very hot - your oil consumption will be higher if you use a multi-weight oil.

And no big deal 12HP vs. 13HP - you won't even know the difference.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup.

And use straight 30W oil as those engines work very hard and get very hot - your oil consumption will be higher if you use a multi-weight oil.

And no big deal 12HP vs. 13HP - you won't even know the difference.

What these guys said...
plus, you will need a funnel.

LaWn GuY

Threads
Starter problem Briggs & Stratton 12 HP Flat Head

I just cut half my grass today and It was a bitch. The engine sputters when not under load, and under load and stalls. It starts right back up. I had to jump It with my Jeep cause It wont charge the battery, and now the starter gear somehow managed to come off. So now It's once again sitting In my garage. I don't know why I have so many starter problems. When I shut It off to take a break I tried to start It, and the flywheel was locked so I tried to turn It hard as I could and It only goes so far each way. So I knew It wasn't the battery cause the relay clicks nice and strong. So I removed the starter cover and see the starter bendix gear locked on the flywheel and won't let It turn. So I will have to wait for them to pick It up again. Sigh

LaWn GuY

Threads
Figured out why It was sputtering and realized the gas has been In their since last year. But now the starter problem still exists.