Tecumseh Solid state ignition

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I was reading on small engine FB group today that tecumseh made a solid state (points conversion) for the points coils that were nestled inside the flywheel...i've been looking online for them but haven't came across any, is this true?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Going to show my age, but to answer your question, yes Tecumseh can be converted to solid state ignition. Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s I did a few using a Nova ignition kit. I just goggle it and supposedly there is still and updated kit available. Do a google search for “Electronic Ignition Module Nova II” and you can find more info on it.

reelton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets,
I saw a post on one of the forums that told how to build an SSI to replace the one on an OH160 since the SSI was no longer avaiable. They made it from some car parts I believe. Have you seen that post? I have a bad SSI.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have not seen any post like that. Have you checked out the Nova II Module?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The OH160 ignition came in 2 flavors. One with points that you can put a Nova ll kit on. The other flavor was pointless electronic ignition. The systems use different flywheels. The electronic used trigger pins on the flywheel. If you can find a working electronic ignition module for sale they are usually between 200 and 300 dollars. I have an OH140 engine out in the barn. One of these days gonna drag it out and refurb it. Been saying that for years...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If my memory is any good I believe that the old Tecumseh flat heads the flywheel did not have to be replaced when converting to solid state ignition.

enigma-2

Threads
The OH160 ignition came in 2 flavors. One with points that you can put a Nova ll kit on. The other flavor was pointless electronic ignition. The systems use different flywheels. The electronic used trigger pins on the flywheel. If you can find a working electronic ignition module for sale they are usually between 200 and 300 dollars. I have an OH140 engine out in the barn. One of these days gonna drag it out and refurb it. Been saying that for years...
Your argument is pointless .... ?

enigma-2

Threads
Point being made = "pointless" ... sorry, was my attempt at a pun.