Tecumseh Engine Starts With Fuel But Will Not Keep Running

grewal01

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh Engine Starts With Fuel But Will Not Keep Running
I have an old 6hp Tecumpseh engine on a Sears Shredder that I am trying to salvage for a brush cutter. It will start if you spray fuel in the carb, then dies. I've cleaned the carb and checked all jets. I've checked the carb and intake bolts for tightness. Once started, you can sometimes keep it running for a little while by blocking the air intake (creating a super-choked condition). Can't seem to find why the carb won't suck fuel into the intake throat.

scott47429

Threads
does it have a bowl with a float in it if so did you make sure the bolt that holds the bowl on is clean its hollow and has holes in the side near the head for gas to get into the jet

grewal01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi- yes it has a float, and (whoops) I DID NOT check the hole in the valve housing- it was plugged up tight! Very good tip. Cleaned it out, re-tried- but similar problem. However, I had to replace the float valve rubber seat to stop the bowl from leaking, so perhaps the float is not adjusted properly now. I will try adjusting it and see if the results improve.

Captn Cliffy

Threads
However, I had to replace the float valve rubber seat to stop the bowl from leaking.

Do you mean the needle seat? The needle is attached to the bowl float, and there is a rubber seat that the needle pushes against. When you install the seat, note that there is a groove on one side of the rubber-this side should always go down (inserted first). I don't think this would keep the engine from running, but the Tecumseh service manual mentions which way to install it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the idle jet on the side of the carb. It has a plastic cover on it. They like to plug and have a very small jet down the center. When you push a very small wire through you should be able to see it in the side holes of the jet.

grewal01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi- carb has a screw-type idle jet on the side, I've cleaned it. I replaced the needle with a shorter one and adjusted the float. Motor now starts and runs, needs some adjustments but good to go. Many thanks for all the help.

grewal01

Forum Newbie
Threads
To CC- Yes, replaced the needle seat, I think it is in upside down from what you say, but it is sealing so I'll leave it alone. removing it would probably damage it and I don't have another. replacing the float needle with a shorter one and adjusting the float did the trick, engine now running. The engine has a funny throttle/governor arrangement, seems a little difficult to adjust the high speed and idle and get expected results but I'm sure it will eventually work out. Many thanks for the tips.