Techumseh V60 no/low spark

techguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Techumseh vertical V60 motor that goes to a Big Mow. I am having issue with the generator portion in that I can't get any spark out of it. I have managed to get some spark by placing the magnets onto the flywheel where I think they belong. I have no experience with these engines. I've replaced the condenser, the magneto (plastic part with the coil inside and plug wire), and the points. I've adjusted the points to .20 or .020 or whatever it's supposed to be.

I've got to the point where I can actually feel some electricity thru the wire and ground, but when I do a spark plug test, there's nothing. Any suggestions? Here is a pic of the setup. Thanks!

FYI, thanks for the lame pic size limitation. Who does this?

rsz_20150810_142049.jpg

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The manual is very good and goes thru the spark portion. There is a warning not to re-glue magnets to the fly wheel. IMO where the magnet is glued affects the pulse put into the coil which is later stepped up. If that position is off just a hair it may spoil the cycle. Maybe you can find a good used or new flywheel? Also take a look at the "low oil switch" troubleshooting guide.

techguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you replaced the magneto, did you set the timing? If you don't know what I am talking about, you didn't and that is your problem. An time you remove the magneto assembly on the old Tecumseh's you must reset the timing, which comes after you set the points. Check pages 63-71 of this manual.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

Reset the timing..OK I am going to look that up as well. The magneto portion is just a slide-on replacement, doesn't seem to be any timing parts there but I will take your advice and RTFM. Thanks!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the olden times... auto points had a narrow feeler gauge setting range of about 2-3 thou to open and close. That small range did change the timing. So even if the fly key-fly wheel is tight and the coil set in properly perhaps the timing needs checking as Rivets says. On a car you would do it with a timing light against degree marks at the crank pulley. I did not read everything in the Tecumseh manual and did not see the procedure. (But that document is interesting enough for bedside reading:laughing:) Reading such factory workshop manuals is an education in itself.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you were working on Tecumseh's before CDI ignition systems, you wouldn't know about their need to be retimed any time you remove the magneto assembly. When you understand how it is done, you can advance the timing for more power. Happy reading.

techguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guess what guys? I did some points timing per the manual, but still not a lot of juice.

I went to a lawnmower junk yard and found another flywheel with a different type of magnet mounted inside the hub. Slapped it on the motor, and now I have lots of nice blue spark. Thank you all for your help!

But it still doesn't start.

I was checking the carburetor, I took off the bottom piece where the float sits and it was pretty dry, with some very old fuel barely visible. Isn't that bowl supposed to be full of gas? Does the gas work off of gravity (from the tank to the carb)? I have removed the motor and have a tank just sort of sitting on the ground. I have been lifting it as I try to start it, above the carb. Shouldn't the carb be full of gas? Doesn't seem to be any...any ideas on why gas is not being fed into the carb? Thanks again!