TB30 Twin Bagger

kh0432

Threads
I bought the twin bagger for my TB30 rear engine mower. I only intend to use it to clean up leaves in the fall. Is it really necessary to put the counter weight on the front? I wouldn't think dry mulched up leaves would weigh as much as grass clippings. My concern is about adding 21 lbs to the front end since the front wheel bearings are just plastic bushings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well try it
If you find the front lifts to the point that you loose effective steering add some weights
Remember while the weight might be small. it is all way past the rear wheels so there is a lever effect

kh0432

Threads
I decided to put the front counterweight on. Not an easy installation for one person but I'll post a few tips to make it easier. The included instructions stink. Some of these you can find on YouTube but I've added one more. When you install the rear mounting bracket, drill out the rear cover support tube and frame with a 21/64 drill bit. That will remove the treads that the self taping bolts made. I used a stubby screw driver on each side to align the bracket and tube until I could get a bolt started on each side. The rest is easy until you put on the front counterweight.
To install the weight take a retaining clip out of one side of the tie rod and swing it out of the way. The instructions show to insert the mounting bolt from the front but I found it was easier to insert from the rear so I'd have a stud sticking out to hang the mounting bracket on. Just do one side first and get a nut on to hold it then you can lift the other side up.
Hope this helps someone.