T1770 Hydro-Static Transmission Case-Vent Question

jamesemu

Threads
Can you please help me determine the make and number of the Hydro-Static Transmission, on my Kubota Mower, Model T1770-A, purchased new in 2007.
The engine is the Kohler CV17 V-Twin and the deck is the 44" three blade .
The company making the hydro 亡tatic transmission, is it Kubota or another company.
The problem I am having is the Nylon Barb Transmission fitting on the top of the case, for venting the case, got broken off. As I would like to use brass instead of the original Nylon, I have tried several brass fittings with a 1/2" barb, that fit into the ス ID rubber hose which is one foot long, with the vent clamped into the other end. It does not appear the threads are a correct fit. Can u tell me, if I should I be looking for a Metric fitting thread?

I appreciate anyone getting back with help on my question.
jamesemu

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would expect it to be metric, if you can remove the broken off piece, that will give you something to take with you to a good hardware store...
You can also go to this site: Kubota T1770A Parts
and get a parts break down for the transmission... Messicks is an excellent source for Free parts manuals, he will email you about anything you need...

If that 90 has been broken off for any amount of time, it has likely allowed dirt, grass and other things into the hydraulic oil... I would drain & refill it... Messics can likely give you the needed drain & fill procedure including the steps needed to purge any air... good luck and post back with what you discover... :smile:KennyV

jamesemu

Threads
Kenny V
Thanks much for your post and suggestions.
Yes, I found a fellow named Ed Hughes in Messick's to be most helpful in locating the correct Kubota OEM Fitting for that Trans Case vent hole.
Great place! He is mailing a new OEM Vent fitting, along with a new rubber gasoline cap gasket, in that I see mine has begun to crack.
Just to be clear it was a straight Barb one end and he explained that they probably use a non-NPT thread and probably is Metric. Anyway, in that I searched everywhere and could not find a comparable one in brass, he is mailing a new Nylon one, and interesting that it comes with a "O"ring.
Looks as if that is how it seals against the case.
According to the pdf diagram he sent that one foot hose from this vent fitting as I found it, shoved through the frame and tie-wrapped in place, is "Standard Kubota"!
Now the question remains, why did it break off and how long back, has it been, "danglin there"?
I saw no sign of an old "O Ring", and in fact examined the case vent hole, thinking that there might be a recess machined in it to hold an "O" Ring, but there was none only a somewhat reinforced "boss".

I am planning to, as you suggested, change the Tranny oil. The factory Service manual, says I should use "Engine Oil: API Service classification SH, SJ or CD. SAE 20W-50. Is this common for most such Hydro-Static Trans-Axles?

and am considering using a Full Synthetic equal to above. I read someone post that is a good idea? Would like to get other opinions on this?

I am writing all of this in a Post, because OI am hoping that some others out there would read about this problem and let me know if anyone has heard of such a problem with vent fittings.

Thanks in advance.
jamesemu