T-box making noise

Joe55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I was working on an HT-16 Sierra I recently picked up cheap and after getting it running I heard a clacking sound. At first I thought it was an idler that was rusted in place. I freed up the idler and lubed the others so I would be able to hear the machine run without clatter. Much to my chagrin I found the clacking was coming from the T-box. I took off the seat and fenders to expose the T-box only to find the thing was only half exposed and I could only see the back half of the pulley wheel. I assume the T-box has (or is supposed to have) oil in it but I have no idea how to get the oil into it. Further, I examined the box from the sides I could see from underneath but I still can't find a fill hole. I have a repair manual (pdf) and a service (pdf) and neither show the T-box clearly enough to determine anything other than there is a T-box.
Help please!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to guess when you say T-box maybe that means transmission? It might well be sealed. Dose it look like it was leaking at one time and if not the oil or grease can't go anywhere.

Joe55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually its called a T-drive...it has 2 part numbers 34451 and a Tecumseh 1000-031 T Drive. It doesn't show an exploded view of the thing so I'm thinking there are no serviceable parts and the whole thing needs to be replaced. I hope I'm wrong