Swisher ZT2454 Won't Start / Blows Fuse

chris.wyse

Threads
That makes sense. I'll try it this weekend. I was confused when I read 8V instead of 12 V when I connected the ground to the engine. Still don't understand why it wouldn't be 12 V, but I'll try the switches.

Thanks.

chris.wyse

Threads
That makes sense. I'll try it this weekend. I was confused when I read 8V instead of 12 V when I connected the ground to the engine. Still don't understand why it wouldn't be 12 V, but I'll try the switches.

Thanks.
I undid the jumper on one of the lap switches and plugged it in. I plugged in ignition switch and switched it to on. Fuse blew. Did the same on the other lap bar switch. Same result.

Ugh.

chris.wyse

Threads
Did some more testing. I have two batteries connected by jumper cables. In #5 and #6, I tested from the negative terminal of the good battery which is connected to the installed battery. I'm thinking that the nominally high resistance from the solenoid ground might be due to the jumper cable connection??? On the engine ground, I couldn't even get a reading with my ohm meter.

How would I address this? I think I had a solid connection to the engine ground for testing. Should I run an additional wire from the battery negative to the engine ground lead? Is there anything else I need to consider?

StepActionConfiguration/ConnectionsExpected ResultObservations
1Unplug ignition switch, jumper B to L terminals on plugB to L terminals on ignition switch plug12V12V, fuse OK
2Connect hour meter using solenoid ground (versus engine ground)L terminal to hour meter positive, hour meter ground to solenoid ground12V, hour meter working12V, hour meter working, fuse OK
3Change hour meter ground to engine ground (normal configuration)L terminal to hour meter positive, hour meter ground to engine ground12V, hour meter working8V, hour meter not working, fuse OK
4Move hour meter ground back to solenoid groundL terminal to hour meter positive, hour meter ground to solenoid ground12V, hour meter working12V, hour meter working, fuse OK
5Measure resistance between solenoid ground and battery negativeMultimeter probes on solenoid ground and battery negativeLow resistance (~0 ohms)14 ohms (somewhat high???)
6Measure resistance between engine ground and battery negativeMultimeter probes on engine ground and battery negativeLow resistance (~0 ohms)High resistance

chris.wyse

Threads
I believe that the green wire from the hour meter runs to the oil pressure switch. When connected the voltage at the hour meter reads 8V. However when I connect to the ground on the starter solenoid, it reads 12V. Therefore, I assume that the pressure switch or its connection to ground is the issue.

Tomorrow I’ll test the pressure switch.

Does anyone concur with mu analysis??