Swapping a part?

Steve Atlanta

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old Murray lawn tractor (Briggs & Stratton), that needs a bracket assembly brake (part 92072E701).

Apparently, that part is no longer available and no one sells it. The local lawn mower repair shop says the part can't be repaired or swapped out with another part, not even 92072E701MA.

Unless I can find the part from a junkyard, it looks like this otherwise perfectly good mower won't work.

Any suggestion for finding this part - or for trying a substitution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
first of all congratulations
If that is a 1980-1999 model it shows you have looked after your mower really well
Now if you have the right part number we are talking about a stand off bracket for the deck belt brake.
If this is the case it can be repaired by any 1/2 competent fabrication engineer with a brake press ( flat sheet bender ) a lathe & welder , if you have the old one for them to copy from.
Down side there is probably 2 hours work in it so you are looking at a couple of hundred dollars .
So why are you replacing it ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I don't understand why the superseded part would not replace the previous verson. All Briggs did was to the "MA" at the end to let them know it was a Murray part number.

Anyway the part is NLA from Briggs or at that is what Power Distributors (Briggs main parts distributor) are showing.

And Bert if this is the correct part number then most likely it is the pivot point heavily worn which can be rework by welding and grinding back to a flat surface. Of the pivot stepped washer would need to be replaced too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect you are right which iswhy I asked why Steve is looking for a replacement.
I have seen some that had cracked along the bottom bend that I welded then added a couple of butresses each end
If that did not work then I was going to remake it from 2 pieces of rolled angle iron overlapped & welded along their length then threaded to take a standard grade 9 bolt with a bush for the pivot point .
I have gone to maching off the worn pivot then dropping a sleve over the bolt and machining the hole to suit the as they are normally flogged oval as well
Sounds a lot of work, but is quicker than welding & machining and oveer the past 11 years I now have hundreds of idler stand off bushes left over that are good to use as they are softer than the pivot arm so wear and are easily replaced .

FWIW I could not find a listing for the part with the MA as either a prefix or suffix so perhaps B & S never remade them after existing stocks ran out .