Engine swap out kohler to briggs stratten

Topcat3hi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anybody converted a kohler out to a briggs & stratten. the kohler used an electric pto, and I want to do the same, but the kohler has a 1 1/8 crank and the briggs is only 1 inch.

jmick35

Threads
I just completed this project on my LT1045 earlier this winter.
I bought an old Craftsman mower with no mower deck or battery off of Craigslist for $50.
The owner started it for me and told me it would be a strong engine.
Installed the Briggs twin model 402707 type 013501 from it into my Cub Cadet that I purchased in 2008.
I removed the unreliable Kohler Courage that lost compression.
See my post in the New Member Forum title New Member/Winter Project for pictures.
Maybe I just got lucky but it wasn't too hard to pull off.
The Briggs shaft may have been a little shorter but it went together just fine.
I did attach one pic after the switch.
Also I removed my headlights, which i had disconnected, to allow room for the Briggs air cleaner.

Attachments

• cubleft.jpg
    cubleft.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are making things hard for yourself.
Vertical engine come in 3 basic sizes & types according the the out put shaft size.
7/8" push mower & self propelled.
1" large self propelled and all domestic ride ons
1 1/8" professional mowers.

As a rule of thumb you can swap out any mower brand for another within the same series, going from one to the other can be a problem.
Along with the different shaft size come different mounting centres and different shaft lengths.

So your first problem will be bolting the engine in.
Once in you will have to check the protruding length of the out put shaft, you may have to pack up the engine.'Once you are there then you will need to find a pulley stack of identical diameters to the original since there is a specific ration of maximum engine speed to lineral blade speed.
Contry to popular belief too fast a blade speed can be as much of a disaster as too slow a speed particularly in respect to the length & angle of the flute which controls the updraft.