Swap engines Courage 18 SV540S (Ariens mower) with Courage 19 SV590S (Cub Cadet)?

BigLawn2Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Swap engines Courage 18 SV540S (Ariens mower) with Courage 19 SV590S (Cub Cadet)?
Hi all, I have an Ariens Zoom 1840 mower with a bad engine, a Courage 18 model SV540S spec SV540-0023 . I can buy a used Courage 19 model SV590S spec SV590-0003 from a Cub Cadet. Unfortunately I don't have drive shaft photos or measurements of either engine. Does anyone know if this is a direct swap and if the drive shaft will be compatible? I've tried Googling for driveshaft specs but can't find any. Thanks a million!

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Swap engines Courage 18 SV540S (Ariens mower) with Courage 19 SV590S (Cub Cadet)?
Call Kohler,1- 800.544.2444
they've got me the answers on similar questions before.

BigLawn2Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Call Kohler,1- 800.544.2444
they've got me the answers on similar questions before.
Thanks, they were helpful. They also provided the Kohler Factory Tech number 866-465-6453 (86-Go-Kohler) to answer questions about wiring compatibilities and any other technical details that the manuals don't show me.

100 td

Threads
I don't have drive shaft photos or measurements of either engine. Does anyone know if this is a direct swap and if the drive shaft will be compatible?
It's always nice for the OP to come back with a resolution to the question so when others in years to come search one of these engines/scenarios they glean some info, what was the outcome of shaft sizes and compatibility?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nice to see that the OP found out, what most of the good techs on this site already know, the engine manufacturers are willing to help people out. Most times they just bad mouth the manufacturer, because they can’t get what they figure is due them. I’ve found out many years ago that they are willing to help just about anyone who is willing to listen, courteous, and not looking for something free. If you act like a jerk, they will give the same help as we offer those who act like jerks to us, little or none. Thank you for letting us know of your positive experience.

BigLawn2Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the shafts on both engines are the same at 1" diameter and 3 5/32" long. The engine bolt pattern should also be the same.

There remains a question whether I will run into a difference with the RPM and choke controls, some mowers use 1 wire and some use 2. Also, there is a question whether the wiring harness will be the same or if I will need to do some splicing. Those issues are not deal stoppers. The Kohler Factory techs probably know but I haven't called them.

I will edit my original post to add the Spec number for each engine since that is something Kohler also wanted to know.

Here is also the link to the manual for these engines. The model numbers from my engine decals both end with an "S" but apparently that isn't too significant since none of the documentation references that digit (?)

Last edited:

100 td

Threads
Great, I'm sure someone down the track will get some good mileage out of that!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine blocks will have the same mounting holes for the control wires so you can take the entire Kit & Cabbodle off the old one & bolt it onto the new one if they are not the same
This especially applies to the governor spring.

Last edited:

dzt41j

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you buy that engine right from Kohler?
edit-- (just noticed you found a used one)