Super Recycler 20381 Drive Belt Loosening

michaeldonnellan

Forum Newbie
Threads
The drive belt for the self-propelled system on my Toro Super Recycler (model 20381) keeps coming off the pulley. The belt is still intact. Does this mean the belt should be replaced? Does it get stretched out over time?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No they don't stretch , they wear thin
When they jump off they can be damaged internally so will just keep on jumping off.
So yes get a nice new belt and do not use a screwdriver to lever it over the pulleys

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As said, get a new belt. Now that I’ve said, changing this belt is not as easy as most other mower belts. Here’s the order you need to follow.
1. Unhook the drive cable from PP handle.
2. Remove black cover over tranny.
3. Remove belt guide on tranny. Need a #2 square bit. most have a slightly rounded end which I grind flat and square.
4. Remove belt.
5. Tip mower on its side, carb up.
6. Remove blade, and blade adapter.
7. If you cannot remove blade adapter, you must remove belt guide to get belt off.
8. Install new belt and assemble in reverse order.
9. After everything is installed, adjust belt tension.

I’ve done hundreds of these and the time to do the job takes from 30 minutes to over an hour. It all depends on how tight the screws and parts are, plus getting those three screws on the tranny off can be a real PITA. GOOD LUCK.

michaeldonnellan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks.

This is the plastic cover that goes over the belt (on top of the deck). The tab that extends downward has been torn up (which I am guessing is a result of the belt getting caught on it). Does the tab serve any purpose, or could I just leave the cover off? The cover is loose because the screw broke off, and I am unable to secure it again.

IMG_2662.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You could be right, but I’m guessing that your belt is worn causing the problem. I would just cut that tab off and put the cover back in place to keep debris from getting caught from the top. It should stay in place because a small part of it will still be under the back cover.