Super Commercial 6277 Bricktop 1969-1970-1971?

WhyZed

Threads
Hey Gang,

Next+Purchase+01.jpg
Saw an add for this mower asking $20.00. I tried email reply but nothing.
I was heading out the door for the whole day & thought :rolleyes: I might want this mower more than simply an email so I did a little more research & discovered a phone # in another add he had. He answered on the first ring :cool2:
The machine was still available but he had lots of interest. There was one Dude that had emailed him 4 times (add was under 4hrs old) and he said, 1st comes first served". He was 2.25hrs drive north but I was heading 2.5hrs South East when I called.

Like our good friend franchi :drink:. I drove 6hrs to do my task then my son drove us up to pickup the mower another 5hrs there & back. It was still there, I paid $20.00.

P5250003+Ser+%u00252526+Model.jpg

P5250009+6277+Cleanup.jpg

It was very clean on the outside.
There was about 40-45lbs compression but wouldn't start with straight gas down the plug hole. The spark looked strong, the gas tank was contaminated with grass. I pulled the carb and it was spotless. It even had a brand new needle, seat & float. :thumbsup:

P5250004+Needle+Valve.jpg

It took a puller jig and heat to get the blade adapter off. The muffler had never been off and the engine was still virgin (never been opened :wink:).
The engine had never been off the deck. Once I got it off & the cylinder off I found the rings were seized into the grooves, the piston pin holes were totally covered closed with carbon. It took an hr cleaning the carbon out of the hole to get at the retaining clips.

P5270015+-+Piston.jpg

Once my rings arrived I rushed it together and tried to start. 1/4 to 1/2 ounce of straight gas into the plug hole and it fired but wouldn't run. After that I couldn't get it running other then the odd bang.

I pulled the flywheel & governor discovering a brand new set of points, condenser, and the coil was installed upside down, none of it was installed correct - none of it. :confused2:
First, the wire from the coil was routed wrong. In the picture below it is correct - the black wire protruding out the hole. This way it is protected from the flywheel starting gear rubbing on it. I had to shrink-wrap the wire as the insulation was cut through exposing conductor! The points weren't mating square contact, and the gap was not correct. Crazy I even got the odd spark.

P6060003.jpg

I needed to adjust the governor rod a little as it was a little sticky.

Checked spark after adjusting that stuff and it was strong and consistent! :cool:

A 1/2 ounce of gas in plug hole and it started straight up first pull :cool2:

Adjusted the main jet 2 turns out from full in, then fine adjusted it as per the manual. I let it run for 5 or so minutes then flipped it on it's side to check for leaks. I turned it off to let it cool. Went in for dinner and came out and found this :thumbdown::ashamed::confused2: - ever scene a grown man cry?

P6070007+-+paint+fail.jpg

P6070006.jpg

P6070005.jpg

P6070004.jpg

I have taken a video of it running, it takes so long to upload (325 minutes to go).. :confused2:

Zed

Last edited:

impalass

Threads
Last year i gave my brother-in-law a carb and air filter for a bricktop.

WhyZed

Threads
I think I'm going to need that 5124 muffler of yours.
Do you have the low/high throttle switch? The long wire thing with the plastic toggle switch that sticks out the back.

impalass

Threads
I will take a picture of the speed control lever.

impalass

Threads
I think I'm going to need that 5124 muffler of yours.
Do you have the low/high throttle switch? The long wire thing with the plastic toggle switch that sticks out the back.
I have two levers one fits a 8252 similar to your shroud and the other came from a 8232.

Attachments

• del 030.jpg
    del 030.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 19

WhyZed

Threads
Wow, the day from hell today folks :confused2:
Good thing I didn't touch to many things - what I did turned to sticky, sticky droppings of excrements!!! :mad:

Anywise, I have a video of a freshly rebuilt D467 :cool:

WhyZed

Threads
I have two levers one fits a 8252 similar to your shroud and the other came from a 8232.

The one one the right is nothing like mine. I'll pull mine off and compare to you pic. :drink:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, that's a great find. It's definitely worth the five hour drive. You did a great job writing this up with your excellent photos. :thumbsup:

The little ding in the tank isn't that big a deal but it is worth noting that one should be careful when laying one of these commercial mowers on the side -- that's how it happened -- right? How did the tank's paint get dissolved?

I've got a bricktop commercial and it's the best mower in my collection -- by far.

Lawn-Boy-6255-05.jpg

I like "Hevi-Duti" -- someone had a sense of humor. :laughing:

LB-6255-04.jpg

WhyZed

Threads
Wow, How did the tank's paint get dissolved?

I've got a bricktop commercial and it's the best mower in my collection -- by far.

That is one fine commercial mower thanks :thumbsup: but - If you watched 4 min 54 secs you just might know. :ashamed:

WhyZed

Threads
Wow, that's a great find. It's definitely worth the five hour drive. You did a great job writing this up with your excellent photos. :thumbsup:

The little ding in the tank isn't that big a deal but it is worth noting that one should be careful when laying one of these commercial mowers on the side -- that's how it happened -- right? How did the tank's paint get dissolved?

I like "Hevi-Duti" -- someone had a sense of humor. :laughing:

There is indeed a wee-ding in the tank :cool: testament to the fact that even the mighty Lawn-boy must be tipped over now & again to clean out the over-grown grass stuck in the poop-shoot. Hehehehe :laughing: