Super Bronco - work load

RooWalk

Threads
Now that I have the mower running ... I need a good recommendation on how much area/how long to run the little mower.
It's hot here in OK, and I don't want to overdo
The tractor takes care of the pastures, but that leaves front yard, backyard, side yard, looong ol' driveway.

I'm still looking at the oil leak ... and I seem to have a fuel leak. The fuel line and filter were replaced last year.
Thanks!!
Anne

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would get that fuel leak located fixed ASAP. Don't need to risk a fire. Or risk the carburetor needle being faulty and blowing up your engine.
As long as you have the correct oil for your temperature and the cooling fins on the engine are clean, heat won't affect it much. Just keep an eye yourself in the heat.
I think you have the Kohler Courage 19 or 20 horsepower engine, correct?

RooWalk

Threads
It is a Kohler engine, yes
Bronco is Model 6605
serial #1e116H10398
13AX60TG766
Neighbor is going to look at the fuel leak today ... is just a drip, but still It's gas around a hot engine

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Looking at the engine, single cylinder Kohler courage, it could be a few things. The oil leak that is,
1. They are bad about the valve gasket cover on the engine failing and leaking,
2. if it has one of those yellow EZ drain plugs, they can loosen sometimes, or they just start to leak.
3.this engine is known to have to have the top crank case cover bolts loosen, if not caught in time, can cause serious damage, if they're loosening up, i 'd imagine oil would start leaking from the top.
4. Could just be a failing oil seal, either on the PTO side or Flywheel side of the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Valve cover leaks are a pain on the Courage. It is recommended to replace the cork gasket with RTV but it must be applied properly. If not done properly the valve cover start leaking again in short order. It takes me about 12 hrs to seal these covers due to curing times. All contact surfaces must be oil free and a surface prep chemical used; oil must not contact the RTV for at least 12 hrs. This is why it takes me 12 hrs. I use the same procedure on all small engine areas the are RTVed.

Without knowledge of the area where the oil leak occurring it is just a guessing game. When in doubt here I use UV dye tracer to locate the source of the leak.

RooWalk

Threads
got it ...
But what about the work load for the little guy??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The trick with cork gaskets is not to overtighten them
Even from the factory they came over tightened
Put a little blue loktite on the threads do then up finger tight then 1/4 turn to slightly compress the cork
Cork gaskets are funny things, they need to be compressed a little to seal by too much chops the cork or perminently compresses it.
Then it always fees like the bolts are too loose to stay in.
The torque value for them is 65 inch pounds which is about the sealing force on a glass peanut butter jar.

RooWalk

Threads
Would you mind expanding on what you mean by 'the little guy'?
The Troy Bilt :) It was my original question in this post
I have 10 acres. The Mitsubishi 24hp 4wd tractor takes care of the pastures, front and back ... but that leaves the front yard, the dog yard, the side yard, and both sides of the long driveway.
How much can the Troy Bilt do, and how long a work session without overworking and disabling the Troy Bilt??

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Your troybilt will be fine, no need to worry about over working it, just keep an ear and eye open as NORMAL wear parts will wear regardless, drive belts, pulleys etc.
you can put 250 hours on it over a period of years, or 1 year. It's the hours that count.