STX38 hydro won't go (FW or REV)

hoosiermiguel

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post. :)

I have an issue with my STX38 (black deck) with hyrdo transmission.

Issue: When I saddle up, I start the engine and she comes to life, the idle is great. When I attempt to shift the mower into forward or reverse, nothing happens. No sounds, nothing. There is no resistance on the shifter, it moves from F to N to R and back smooth and easy, but with no movement of the mower.

At first I thought I might have accidentaly moved the actuating lever (I changed a tire this weekend) but that did not matter. It would not engage in either position.

Of note, the PTO engages, the deck moves up/down as sxpected and blades spin like they should. The belts on the deck feel good (no cracks, weird wear, etc.) and seem to be around the pulleys. The belt is snug. If I tug on the belt, the pulleys all seem to move.

The killer is, despite the shifter being in neutral with the parking brake lever being in the "locked" position, the mower will roll forward and backwards, when pushed, regardless of the orientation of the actuating lever! I looked under the rear of the mower to check for trouble but the actuating lever looks connected, intact and functional when moving it from engaged to free wheel mode.

Anyone ever experience this? I'm totally at a loss...looked at JD parts diagram of the transaxle shifter, brake and case for my serial number but nothing seems to be missing from my mower to the diagram.

Feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have lost the key from the axel
Look at the axel on the wheel you removed whole some one is sitting in the mower going through the motions
If you see the axel moving and the wheel isn't then time to get on all fours with the magnet & strong torch.
It has to be there somewhere around 1/8" x 1.8" x 2" long length of hardened key steel .

hoosiermiguel

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have lost the key from the axel
Look at the axel on the wheel you removed whole some one is sitting in the mower going through the motions
If you see the axel moving and the wheel isn't then time to get on all fours with the magnet & strong torch.
It has to be there somewhere around 1/8" x 1.8" x 2" long length of hardened key steel .
Thanks, this sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to me on this project. ?

I'll take a look this afternoon and post my findings!

hoosiermiguel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the part under a tool on the garage floor. Took me < 5 minutes to reinstall, including jacking up the rear end.

Took a victory lap or two around the yard, despite the rain.

Thanks a million for your help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You did well.
Most spend a full week looking for it then 2 weeks waiting for the new one to come in then after they have installed the new key, find the old one sitting just outside the door .