STT61v-27KA Engine swap

Heating guy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 27 Kawasaki ( FD750D - DS08) original engine that is being replaced with a Kawasaki 31 ( FD851D - NS00 - s) on a Scag turf tiger

STT61V-27-ka S/N E4200259

is there a Scag mower newer version I can reference to see what I need electrically or otherwise to get or replace so that this engine will work on my mower ?
Any input is appreciated .

neighborbill

Threads
I have a 23 hp Kawasaki on my Turf Tiger it is 30 years old .
I am going to want to change engines in the future. My problem is will the replacement Kawasaki fit bolt for bolt. And which engine to purchase. REPOWER (internet) says they have Honda replacement but nothing with a new Kawasaki.
What are you looking for? not that much electrical to swap it it fits.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a 27 Kawasaki ( FD750D - DS08) original engine that is being replaced with a Kawasaki 31 ( FD851D - NS00 - s) on a Scag turf tiger

is there a Scag mower newer version I can reference to see what I need electrically or otherwise to get or replace so that this engine will work on my mower ?
should be plug & play
If you are really worried then before you remove the old engine, remove the blower housing then tag the wires on the engine side of plug with where they go to
Do the same with the new engine but tag the engine side of the plug

neighborbill

Threads

How did you know that the FD851 would match up with replacing the FD750?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because Kawasaki only have 1 bolt pattern for FD engines
After that is simple as checking the engine specks at the Kawasaki engine web site to make sure the crankshaft are the same
You can simply do a search
"engine specifications FD750D-DS08"
"engine specifications FD851D - NS00"
And if you are still unsure then you go to the kawasaki engine web page ,/ parts look up / 4 stroke / FD then scroll down to the exact engine number for one engine then the same for the other
AFAIK all FD's have 1.125 ø PTOs because they are all commercial engines
They are made excluseivly for ride on mowers .

neighborbill

Threads
Thanks for that information. I will be checking very carefully. I did a lot of research and never came across any of the information that you provided. I even contacted Kawasaki or tried and got nothing. Dealers just told me that the FD661 (I think that is the number) was discontinued due to polution restraints. Never said "here is an engine to replace it".
"Repower" has a kit to replace my engine, but it is a Honda. Nothing bad about a Honda, but I wanted another Kawasaki.
This should be an interesting process.
Thanks again for the leads.

neighborbill

Threads
Beertmobile1,
Do you know where or how I can find out what all the letter/numbers that are used after the Main description like
FD671D followed by (in this case) AS01.
My Owner's manual shows FD671D,FD711D and FD750D for coverage. I can't buy a FD671D but I can buy FD750D.
So besides the HP difference, I'm betting the 750 will fit right where the 671 is.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
my wholesalers only carry a limited number of Kawasaki engines so it is always a case of finding one that can do the job
Usually it is a smaller engine as nearly all mowers are grossly overpowered
The Z- Master I am currently rewiring had a 691 which was replaced with a 651
The only difference the owner noticed was it uses less fuel

As for electricals they will interchange from one engine to the other as like B & S they all have common mounting points
I can not find a spec for DS08, just A B & C so either it was a "secret " speck with IP belonging to the customer
All you need to know is the ø & length of the PTO , weather it has a key way and is drilled & tapped and the height from the deck to the crank centre
Horizontal shaft engines get used on a lot different types of equipment so the crankshaft PTO ends can be different
FD750D - DS08 has a shaft listed as 49119-2226. which subs to 99916-0003
FD851D - NS00 - s has a shaft listed as 49119-0009
But they both use the same pistons so I will make the assumption that the crank will have a bigger throw .
This link has instructions on how to measure engines for replacement small engine supplies

neighborbill

Threads
Once more, thanks. Very good information. Ever since I've started talking about replacing my Kawasaki, it's been behaving, no more smoke. Sometimes I think (just kidding) these things have feelings. I know it is still wearing out and will need to be replaced. But, with the info you have given me, I've got time to do it right.
Thanks again,
Bill