Striping system - changing from flap to roller - ideas please

AcadGrad81

Threads
  • / Striping system - changing from flap to roller - ideas please
Looking for expert feedback on a striping system change from a mud flap to a steel conveyor roller. Unfortunately, my first impressions with the flap aren't all that great. I've read in other forums that roller systems lay the grass over better for a clean, well-defined stripe compared to a flap. I'm also looking for minimal cost since I don't have $150 to make a "Checkmate" knock-off, or $300+ to buy one from the manufacturer.

I have one steel conveyor roller 21" long by 2.5" diameter and two rollers both of which are 14" long and same diameter. Like my flap, the roller(s) would need to hang just behind the rear tires since I do not have adequate clearance between the deck and right rear tire. The single roller would barely reach beyond the inner sidewalls of the rear tires and duals would span about 3/4 across the face of the tread on each rear tire.

These rollers don't weigh more than maybe 2 or 3 lbs. each, so would you advise them to be spring-loaded for constant and firmer ground contact? Roller axles are 7/16" hexagonal shape with internal bearings and spring loaded on one end for loading into a bracket of some sort. I am envisioning drilling holes through the axle shafts and pinning them into place with a cotter pin and a washer.

Should I use the single or twin roller idea? If twins are better, how could I mount them on a common axis without a 2" gap between the inside ends? Should their ends be overlapped slightly one in front of the other?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Striping system - changing from flap to roller - ideas please
Remember that your tires are actually 'rollers' and you really do not need to duplicate that part... :smile:KennyV