Export thread

strange problem

grassroots

grassroots

Hi, I have a backpack blower which I've been using a lot recently. I run it at pretty much full revs for most of the time. after a while [maybe 20 mins] the power just dies away even with my finger full on the throttle and it just about runs at idle. If I keep my finger on the trigger, the power returns after a minute or so; if I take my finger off the trigger, it cuts out and won't start for 15 mins or so. I've changed the plug and the filter in the fuel reservoir and its made no difference. Strange one! Anybody have any ideas or suggestions please?

P

possum

See if the fuel cap breather is plugged.

Ric

Ric

Hi, I have a backpack blower which I've been using a lot recently. I run it at pretty much full revs for most of the time. after a while [maybe 20 mins] the power just dies away even with my finger full on the throttle and it just about runs at idle. If I keep my finger on the trigger, the power returns after a minute or so; if I take my finger off the trigger, it cuts out and won't start for 15 mins or so. I've changed the plug and the filter in the fuel reservoir and its made no difference. Strange one! Anybody have any ideas or suggestions please?

What kind of blower and how old is it??

Fish

Fish

Just for a test, remove the air filter and the spark arrestor screen in the muffler and start it, see how it runs. Also, describe the screen out of the muffler.

grassroots

grassroots

See if the fuel cap breather is plugged.

Checked that already. Nothing wrong there. It's frustrating. Have removed the spark arrestor screen as I know they can be a pita.

grassroots

grassroots

Hi, it's a Gardencare blower, made in China and its about 4 months old. It runs on a 30:1 mix and I'm very careful to get the ratio right. Been gardening for 30 years. :wink:

grassroots

grassroots

Hi, Ric
Removed the spark arrestor screen a month ago,
Lol

davbell22602

davbell22602

Carb might need cleaned and overhauled with a rebuild kit.

jekjr

jekjr

I agree on the tank vent. It sounds like the fuel is being held back for some reason.

reynoldston

reynoldston

small leak in the fuel line will suck in air and it will run like that.

M

MRCo.

I've had a few come in like this, one was the vented cap, others needed carb rebuilds. Replacing the fuel lines first eliminates a possibility before you look elsewhere.

grassroots

grassroots

I've had a few come in like this, one was the vented cap, others needed carb rebuilds. Replacing the fuel lines first eliminates a possibility before you look elsewhere.

Thanks for the input everybody. Problem was resolved by cutting about a millimetre off the little air vent/ valve in the cap. Although there was no blockage, it just seemed to be too tight to allow any air into the tank. All ok now! :smile: