Strange problem with Poulan PXT 12538 Riding

harleynut97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi really hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this strange problem. It began as a sticky clutch... I would engage the clutch, change the speed, and sometimes the clutch wouldn't return all the way when releasing it. I would put my foot under the clutch foot control and manually push it back all the way and the mower would then engage and run. This problem was occurring sporadically. I did spray some WD 40 on some of the moving parts I could see and it did seem to help somewhat...until today!

After mowing our yard the strangest thing has occurred. As I was pulling it into the garage all of a sudden the entire mower deck dropped to the ground. So what is occurring is the following... If the mower is off... I can manually raise and lower the height of the deck as normal. BUT, as soon as I press the clutch the mower deck drops to the ground. This occurs if the mower is off, or engine on.

I poked around a little bit and I saw this "plate device" , that seems to be doing nothing. It almost looks like a spring could possibly be connected, but there is no spring to be found. Even more frustrating is I can't find this "plate" in the parts schematics.

It does kind of swing a bit. My initial questions are:
1) What is the name of this "Plate"
2) Does it seem reasonable that this could be part of my problem (Perhaps a broken spring or lever of sometype that came off)
3) If so where would it attach to?

Sorry for the long-winded explanation and any help would really be appreciated - Carl

0626201448.jpg

harleynut97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your right in that it looks like the same part, but the location seems off at least looking at the schematic. The plate that I am seeing per the photo is right below the RH footrest. The schematic makes it seem like it is more toward the
rear tire. I'm beginning to think that a bolt has fallen out that is perhaps somehow connected to the clutch or mower deck mechanism. I think that plate has actually swung down when the bolt fell out because you can rotate 180 deg.
but i still have no clue what it hooks up to. They really don't show what it connects to. I also have no idea if that's my actual problem with the deck falling when pushing the clutch. I sure appreciate your help and would welcome any other feedback

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The diagram is misleading and is actually located at the front of the foot rest on the side of the frame. I would say the bolt has fallen out or stripped out if self tapping.Right above that knob looking thing on the plate is a hole that looks like could be wallowed out. The plate rotates 180 degrees from its current location and the bolt goes through the hole on the side of the frame just above the plate. the short bent tabs on each side hook into the square holes on each side to stabilize it. That side of the deck would fall down since that is what the lift link pries against to lift the rear of the deck.

harleynut97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you think there is a nut/washer used behind it to secure it? If it is self-tapping (no nut), do you think I have a chance that a self tapping one would still work? I'm going to go to the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can get the right size bolt. Ill try to get both self tapping and regular bolt..fingers crossed. Really appreciate your help.- Carl

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like it is a 3/8-16 x 1/2 bolt. From the picture of the bolt looks like a self taping bolt. I wouldn't be afraid to use a regular bolt and then put a nut behind it, but you will need a longer bolt than 1/2 inch.

harleynut97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again ILENGINE. I may not get to it until Sunday, I'll reply back to let you know if that fixed the problem- Carl

harleynut97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it was impossible to find that size self tapping bolt so I was forced to pay 14 dollars (including shipping) for a 50c bolt. I'll have to wait 4 or 5 days to get it. Unfortunately, there is linkage that is directly behind the plate and prevents me from using a regular bolt with a nut. I'll followup late next week and let you know how it goes.

harleynut97

Forum Newbie
Threads
The screw came in today and I installed it and the problem is solved.Thanks again for your help ILENGINE!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome, and thanks for letting us know that it is fixed.