Strands not being cut???? Please Help

Threads
I live in Texas and have a very thick ST. Augustine lawn. I mow once weekly with my HRX2173VKA but my problem is that once I'm done, I still have many blades of grass sticking up uncut. I have tried going slow and that helps just a little. Right now my only solution to the problem is mowing it twice. And I have two HRX models and they do the same thing so I know it isn't a defect. Could someone help me??? Thanks in advance. I take pride in my work and want to provide my customers with the highest quality there is.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I live in Texas and have a very thick ST. Augustine lawn. I mow once weekly with my HRX2173VKA but my problem is that once I'm done, I still have many blades of grass sticking up uncut. I have tried going slow and that helps just a little. Right now my only solution to the problem is mowing it twice. And I have two HRX models and they do the same thing so I know it isn't a defect. Could someone help me??? Thanks in advance. I take pride in my work and want to provide my customers with the highest quality there is.

Right off hand I'd say you are cutting the grass to short. You are leaving grass uncut because the mower has so much grass underneath it can't cut it all. When was the last time you sharpened the blades and what height are you cutting the St Augustine or should I ask how much are you trying to remove at once?

Threads
Right off hand I'd say you are cutting the grass to short. You are leaving grass uncut because the mower has so much grass underneath it can't cut it all. When was the last time you sharpened the blades and what height are you cutting the St Augustine or should I ask how much are you trying to remove at once?

Before I was cutting the lawn at 3 inches. (a little low for my liking but it stayed cooler longer this year so it was ok. Last week, considering we're seeing consistent 90+ days, I raised it to 3.5 inches. I will soon move it to 4. I got out of school so now I can mow twice a week rather than once and that helps. Thanks for the comment!

OregonJack

Forum Newbie
Threads

It is possible that one of the wheel heights is off - there are like 7 adjustment levels, and the rear ones are a bit harder to tell if the are the same. On a very level surface (garage floor) you might see one wheel standing slightly off the ground. Try putting all four wheels up to full height or fully lowered, then do a rest mow strip. Raise each wheel one click at a time, to get the desired height, then do another mow. I had the same problem 2 years ago, and was wondering how I had bent the deck - but it turns out, my son had adjusted it and missed one wheel. Hope that helps.

glckenosha

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run into that with taller grass at times. Make sure those blades are sharp. I have over 100 accounts, I sharpen my blades weekly or bi-weekly on all my machines.

OregonJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run into that with taller grass at times. Make sure those blades are sharp. I have over 100 accounts, I sharpen my blades weekly or bi-weekly on all my machines.

Good point - like my dad used to sharpen his straight-edge razor occasionally, but the barber did that just about daily, your blades travel many more miles a week compared to the homeowner's blade mileage.