Storing your Mower

AndyMan

Threads
What do you to get your mower ready for winter storage?

I always scrape the deck, and change the oil. Sometimes I'll sharpen the blades, but that usually waits for spring.

indypower

Threads
Scrap the deck, blow off all grass & debris from the top of the deck (I don't like washing it with a hose as some of the water will probably stay there rusting the deck from the top), then I add Stabil & Isopropel dry gas to the gas, then run it dry.

Hershey

Threads
The tradition around here in the past was just to make sure it was clean and secure and then put it away in the shed. We covered it, and that was that.

oldyellr

Threads
Don't forget to put some gas stabilizer in the tank a minute before you shut it down. Makes it easier to start in the spring. I also put some in my snowblower the last time I use it at the end of the winter.

Fritzy

Forum Newbie
Threads
We always clean the decks and paint them with used oil so they don't rush. I never change the oil until spring because you may got condition in the motor which means, water in the oil, you don't want that, so change the oil it the spring and you don't have to worry.

oldyellr

Threads
I never change the oil until spring because you may got condition in the motor which means, water in the oil, you don't want that, so change the oil it the spring and you don't have to worry.
Not sure I understand. It's better for the motor to sit through the winter with fresh oil in it, rather than oil full of combustion by-products and condensation. A very corrosive mixture. I always change the oil in my sports car before putting it away for the winter. (Having said that, I didn't change the oil in my mowers, nor clean out the decks before putting them away because I didn't have time. Do like I say, not like I do. :wink: )

Driller

Threads
We don't do much at all, other than just putting it in the garage where it's kept most of the time. We do make sure it's clean but other than that, nothing special.

rekees

Threads
For my push mowers I run them until out of gas. For the riding mowers I have installed shut off values in the fuel lines. Turn the values off then run them until they stop. I think it's important not to have gas in the carburetor over winter because it can harden and clog the ports.

jet62095

Threads
I generally use the deck wash, shoot some oil down the spark plug hole, check all my fluids and park it in the barn. Simple enough. Save my Tune-Up for spring!

monica123

Threads
We just pack ours into the garden shed for the winter, it is nothing special, I think if we had a better one, or a ride on we would pay more attention to it.