Export thread

Still got your old desktop?

JDgreen

JDgreen

Yes, I do...an '89 vintage Gateway 386-SX, comes with dual floppy disk drives, a 220 watt power supply, and a 16 bit video card...PLUS a HUGE NEC 14 inch VGA monitor, which was a $600 option back in 1/90. The entire CPU weighs about 35-40 pounds because it's thick metal...and guess what, there is a label on the back that says "Made in the USA"...maybe that is why I keep it. :biggrin:

Yes, it still works...I am going thru the invoice, lets see now...MS DOS 4.1 was a $90 option back then....
the computer itself was $1605, monitor $600, extra software $90, $75 shipping....

Total invoice was $2370.00...big bucks back in early 1990...my current desktop is a highly modded Dell 530 set up for gaming, even with a new 23 inch LCD, maxed out on memory, aftermarket 1 gb video card, plus two external hard drives and two printers, it doesn't even touch the $1500 mark. And that is pocket money these days.

It baffles me, electronics get better, faster, and cheaper all the time...why do most other things keep getting more expensive? :confused2:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

It baffles me, electronics get better, faster, and cheaper all the time...why do most other things keep getting more expensive? :confused2:
Keep that to yourself JD. Don't give them any more ideas on how to get into our pockets:cool: Next thing you know they will charging by the Kb:rolleyes:.

H

Honey

My dad has an old "portable apple computer" the ones that are green and black and take the huge 5 1/2 inch floppies. At one point we had like 3 and they were about 3-5 k each.

JDgreen

JDgreen

My dad has an old "portable apple computer" the ones that are green and black and take the huge 5 1/2 inch floppies. At one point we had like 3 and they were about 3-5 k each.

I've got a pair of Texas Instruments TI-99 4A's that date to '79...don't ask why I keep them. New they cost about $525 w/o a monitor, I got them at a thrift store for about $6 each...keep trying to find a monitor for them on Ebay.

D

Driller

I had it for a long time but it's been gone now for a long time too. It was before hard drives were what they are today. There was room only for a few things. Win 3.1 was the thing back then.

H

Hershey

We kept a bunch of our computers for quite a while, but just recently we joined the modern era and junked all of them except for one which we use as a backup.

K

KennyV

Old computers make poor boat anchors.
I am not sure what they are good for... :smile:KennyV

M

mois25

I still do, in fact it was passed on to me from my older sibling. It had a 256mb RAM, really astonishing speed, but after a few modifications, it still keeps going.

S

Stevie-Ray

I probably have everybody beat. I still have an old desktop that started life as a 286/12, 40 Mb HD and 1 Mb of RAM from Level IV Computers. Cost me $1795 back in 1988. DOS 4 was brand new then and I had it! I upgraded it to a blistering 486SX/20 with local bus, DOS 5, and a 200 Mb HD a few years later and did it ever play Red Baron spectacularly then! The upgrade cost me $800 and it was worth every penny back then. No more choppiness in the graphics intensive games. A few years later again, and I upgraded it to a 486DX2/66 for even more power, RAM, added a piggybacked 250 Mb HD and a double-spin CD ROM.:laughing: I was really in the big time then. That was as far as I went with that system, but it certainly proved to be upgradeable and was top-notch in every way. My next foray into computers was another complete system for about the same price I paid in the 80s, but this was a Pentium 2/266 by Dell, which also proved to be a great unit, and yes I still have it, plus the tower that I upgraded it with. Eventually, I want to take all this old equipment up north where it will make great targets for high-power rifles, pistols and shotguns.

I still have all my original video games also, including Pong.:biggrin:

R

Rocky

I 'm waiting for when a computerized lawnmower is the norm. (I'm sure there already are some out there...! Consider the possibilities and all the various useful functions and apps that could be included---MP3 player, GPS, "auto-cut".....:laughing:

M

minkyung

JDgreen, I am not sure if I have seen the computer you have :) But I keep on hearing about "floppy" things in the past. Technology develops very fast.

JDgreen

JDgreen

JDgreen, I am not sure if I have seen the computer you have :) But I keep on hearing about "floppy" things in the past. Technology develops very fast.

Tell me about it...I had one of the original Blackberries back in 2002, it was basically just a glorified 2 way email pager. Compare that with the 3 year old model I have now, it gained a camera, video camera, a color screen, a web browser, GPS, etc. And it's rather obsolete compared to the newest ones, I keep wondering what technology is going to bring us next...