Export thread

Stihl MS391 Cover Screws

D

deminin

I've been helping a neighbor cut down some trees to make room for a workshop. Today, I had a strange experience. There are (3) 6MM screws that hold the top cover...over the air filter and cylinder head in place, and today 2 of them popped out and got lost somewhere in the dirt and debris. I take the cover off every time I use the saw and clean out the air filter area, etc., real good. I tighten these 3 screws good, but today good apparently wasn't good enough. These screws are "captive" and shouldn't just pop out, even if they come loose. Naturally, I can't find a parts breakdown online, and I doubt the dealer has something like this in stock, but I will be going over there in a couple of days to see. The saw is still under warranty, and if there is a problem with these screws working loose, I may just request a whole new top cover....we'll see what he says. If anyone has a parts list for these saws, could you see if there is a P/N for these screws. Thx, in advance.

Fish

Fish

New screws won't help much. The saw is not meant to be dismantled daily, and tightening the down real good just destroys the
plastic that they are meant to set in. You can go to the dealer, and they may or may not cover it, so I would leave out all of the details you unfolded here, if you want it covered, and get a lot less anal about cleaning your saw in the future, because they will not cover it twice!

D

deminin

Actually, the Threads these screws mount into are Steel inserts...Not Plastic. Even so...if the screws back out, they are supposed to have a retainer in the cover that keeps them from falling out completely. The one remaining screw is "locked" into the cover...as were the others...but something is causing them to back out or breaking the "retainer" that is supposed to keep them in the cover. I sent Stihl a note today, and will check with the dealer in the next couple of days. I was hoping there might be someone on this forum who actually has some experience with a 391.

Fish

Fish

No, just an old Stihl guy....

D

deminin

I firmly believe in cleaning up the "tools" after a days work, and getting them ready for the next day....I operate under premise that the job isn't done until everything is cleaned up and put back in its place. There should be No reason why a simple "user" cover should have any issues. I closely inspected these STEEL threads in the case, and they are in excellent shape...one could torque the screws down quite heavily without damaging anything. I think that once a get the cover screws, or a new cover, I will probably put some thread lock in the case threads...to give the screws a bit more grip if vibration is working them loose.

EngineMan

EngineMan

D

deminin

Yup...that's my plan...but, I'll wait until I hear back from Stihl, and talk to the dealer. I can understand these screws working loose during a day of cutting, but falling out of the cover completely, when they are supposed to have a captive washer in the cover indicates a basic flaw in the design. I've had this cover off numerous times to clean the dirt from around the filter and carb. area, and these screws have always stayed in the cover....until yesterday.

gfp55

gfp55

Also when you unscrew the bolts, don't unscrew the first one all the way out before you move on to the next bolt. Unscrew the first one a little then the same for the next one and so on. If you unscrew the bolt with the others still tight, the bolt that you are unscrewing works its way out of the bolt retainer on the cover. I hope I said that so you can understand me?

Fish

Fish

I'll drop by my Stihl guy in the morning, but those screws are not captive, and are not machine threads.

D

deminin

Also when you unscrew the bolts, don't unscrew the first one all the way out before you move on to the next bolt. Unscrew the first one a little then the same for the next one and so on. If you unscrew the bolt with the others still tight, the bolt that you are unscrewing works its way out of the bolt retainer on the cover. I hope I said that so you can understand me?

I sent Stihl an e-mail yesterday afternoon, and one of their techs replied this morning. According to him, this cover has plastic "retainers" molded into the cover, which are "supposed" to hold the screws in place and keep them from popping out of the cover completely. He said that apparently there was a failure in these retainers, and the dealer should be able to supply a new cover within a few days, if he doesn't have one in stock. I'll be going over there in the next couple of days, and get things rolling. If I can find a couple of 6MM-1 screws, I can get the cover on securely...or with the bar side still intact, I can rig up a couple of cable ties to hold the other side in place. I'm probably going to drop a couple more trees tomorrow morning, before the forecasted rains move in tomorrow night and Tuesday. I've got a Stihl 036 that shucked its crankshaft bearings last fall, which I rebuilt through the Winter...so I think I'll take it tomorrow for a good workout, and keep the 391 as a backup if my 036 rebuild shows any problems.

Fish

Fish

Yeah, looking at the ipl, the screws are separate, so they are not part of the assy.

D

deminin

I've had that cover off at least a dozen times, and the screws always stay in the cover, so I suspect the plastic mouldings in the cover, which are supposed to retain the screws, failed. The Stihl tech who replied via e-mail indicates that there should be no problem covering this minor problem under warranty. I guess from now on, when I am using the saw heavily, I will check these screws for tightness every time I take a short break...and I will probably put some threadlock on them, as well.

Fish

Fish

Why wouldn't you act like a normal human, and leave the cover and the screws alone????? Or does Stihl have to pencil in an obsessive disorder clause on their new saws? Just curious......

Fish

Fish

Why wouldn't you act like a normal human, and leave the cover and the screws alone????? Or does Stihl have to pencil in an obsessive disorder clause on their new saws? Just curious......

Sorry, I am off my meds....

DSepe

Sorry, I am off my meds....

Fish thread confirmed...epic win.

Fish

Fish

Fish thread confirmed...epic win.

yeahbaby!!!!

gfp55

gfp55

View attachment 21966View attachment 21967View attachment 21968View attachment 21969View attachment 21970View attachment 21971 I don't know if your saw is the same as mine but here is some pictures that show that mine are captive and don't come out very easy. I posted wrong info earlier about how to remove screws. I got mixed up with another saw of mine, sorry.

D

deminin

If you ever had the opportunity to look at this model saw, you would see that this service cover supplies access to the air filter, carb, and spark plug. If you have anything constructive to add to this discussion, please do. Otherwise, if you are just using this forum as a means of entertaining yourself, and displaying your obvious lack of knowledge, your time would probably be better spent elsewhere.

gfp55

gfp55

There are lots of guys that think they know all on this forum, I think he will get the idea now. I posted some pictures of my MS391 that show the screws, are they like yours?

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

I've been helping a neighbor cut down some trees to make room for a workshop. Today, I had a strange experience. There are (3) 6MM screws that hold the top cover...over the air filter and cylinder head in place, and today 2 of them popped out and got lost somewhere in the dirt and debris. I take the cover off every time I use the saw and clean out the air filter area, etc., real good. I tighten these 3 screws good, but today good apparently wasn't good enough. These screws are "captive" and shouldn't just pop out, even if they come loose. Naturally, I can't find a parts breakdown online, and I doubt the dealer has something like this in stock, but I will be going over there in a couple of days to see. The saw is still under warranty, and if there is a problem with these screws working loose, I may just request a whole new top cover....we'll see what he says. If anyone has a parts list for these saws, could you see if there is a P/N for these screws. Thx, in advance.

Your top cover is broken then, I have the exact saw and that is how you access the twist lock filter and they are designed to be removed and service you saw.
The screws have retainers in them to keep from coming out of the cover.

Edit to add:
Apologies should have read the entire topic and discovered you had already confirmed your saw had an issue before posting.

D

deminin

Top cover eh???? The side cover comes as separate part number, and no screws are included. also the screws that hold the cover on are the self tapping variety... So they are not captive, or whatever crap description you want to come up with.

You obviously have never seen a MS391. The three screws that hold the top cover on Are "Captive", and there are steel retainers pressed into the plastic cover, which is supposed to keep them from coming completely out. I went past the dealer today, and ordered 4 new screws...will keep a couple on hand for spares. Stihl has suggested that I install a small toothed washer under them, and even place some Blue Loctite on the threads. If you are talking about a "side" cover, you have obviously not understood what I am talking about. Plus, I have NEVER seen a "self tapping" screw on a Stihl chainsaw....or any other chainsaw, for that matter. You may want to "adjust" your meds.

Oh, BTW...I notice you are a "pewter" Stihl tech...is that one level up from "cardboard".

Fish

Fish

View attachment 21966View attachment 21967View attachment 21968View attachment 21969View attachment 21970View attachment 21971 I don't know if your saw is the same as mine but here is some pictures that show that mine are captive and don't come out very easy. I posted wrong info earlier about how to remove screws. I got mixed up with another saw of mine, sorry.

So why would you not post a pic or two that actually had any relevance?

Fish

Fish

You obvioushavely have never seen a MS391. The three screws that hold the top cover on Are "Captive", and there are steel retainers pressed into the plastic cover, which is supposed to keep them from coming completely out. I went past the dealer today, and ordered 4 new screws...will keep a couple on hand for spares. Stihl has suggested that I install a small toothed washer under them, and even place some Blue Loctite on the threads. If you are talking about a "side" cover, you have obviously not understood what I am talking about. Plus, I have NEVER seen a "self tapping" screw on a Stihl chainsaw....or any other chainsaw, for that matter. You may want to "adjust" your meds.

Wow!!! Quite a bold statement, eh? Have you lost your mind?????

Fish

Fish

I will let you do a little research......

Fish

Fish

Of course that is the great thing about posting under a weird name, no one will find out who you are!!!!!

gfp55

gfp55

Of course that is the great thing about posting under a weird name, no one will find out who you are!!!!!

Did your mother have any children that lived?

Fish

Fish

weeeee. So do you have any idea what we are talking about??????? Do I need to post pics of these self tapping screws???

Or you just jump on board in a dis-agreement to try to get some cred???

gfp55

gfp55

What ever you say.

DSepe

weeeee. So do you have any idea what we are talking about??????? Do I need to post pics of these self tapping screws??? Or you just jump on board in a dis-agreement to try to get some cred???
LOL this is why I subscribed to this thread...you will never see Fish bend the knee!

DSepe

Oh, BTW...I notice you are a "pewter" Stihl tech...is that one level up from "cardboard".
Low blow man...

gfp55

gfp55

Low blow man...

Low blow for low life. He acts like he's 6, well maybe 7 years old.

D

deminin

Low blow man...

Well, if this forum is going to be of value, it needs to be conducted as an Adult discussion of the issues, with those posting having something constructive to contribute. If there are some who just "Babble on" with no idea of what they are talking about, those individuals need to take their nonsense to Facebook, or Twitter.

Fish

Fish

Well, if this forum is going to be of value, it needs to be conducted as an Adult discussion of the issues, with those posting having something constructive to contribute. If there are some who just "Babble on" with no idea of what they are talking about, those individuals need to take their nonsense to Facebook, or Twitter.

Yeah, just for giggles, I had my local Stihl source for my e-bay store print this out. He hasn't ordered a ms311/391 yet either, so I have not really seen one, but it sounds like the parts will move well, so I will probably get some this fall. But anyway, looking at it, the screws are not included in the starter assy. which would indicate that they are not "captive"..... Also, looking at the reference number 13 for the cover screw, the description even actually says "self tapping screw"......

It is getting real hard to find an actual machine fastener on any still unit, as they are zipped together at the factory quickly. And if someone removes "said" fastener daily, he is askng for trouble......

.DSCN6239.jpg

Fish

Fish

Start babbling!!! Why would Stihl call their screw as a "self tapping" screw?

If it was "captive", and you ordered a new starter, wouldn't you expect the screws to come with the new starter??????

Fish

Fish

Low blow for low life. He acts like he's 6, well maybe 7 years old.

No, I am an emotional pre-schooler, just knows when he steps in dog poop.....

Fish

Fish

Low blow man...

Naw, I wear my Pewter tech status with pride!!!! Thanks anyway!!! I just like flopping around the farmyard with the other animals!!!!!

D

deminin

Yeah, just for giggles, I had my local Stihl source for my e-bay store print this out. He hasn't ordered a ms311/391 yet either, so I have not really seen one, but it sounds like the parts will move well, so I will probably get some this fall. But anyway, looking at it, the screws are not included in the starter assy. which would indicate that they are not "captive"..... Also, looking at the reference number 13 for the cover screw, the description even actually says "self tapping screw"......

It is getting real hard to find an actual machine fastener on any still unit, as they are zipped together at the factory quickly. And if someone removes "said" fastener daily, he is askng for trouble......

.View attachment 22076

Let me see if I can clear this Up for You. You seem to be hung up on the Side Cover which includes the recoil start. This is NOT the cover I am talking about. If you go back to my original note, you will see that I said TOP cover...the cover which gives access to the air filter, carburetor, and spark plug. The cover DOES have 3 "captive" 6MM-1 screws to hold it on. It is made such that it can be quickly and easily removed to clean the dirt off the air filter, etc....daily, or as needed. Now, get OFF your Side Cover, and start thinking TOP cover...you will get a whole new perspective on this IF you can find the TOP cover.

Oh, and by the way, after contacting Stihl, they are sending me a whole new TOP cover, and want me to send the old one back.....Under Warranty. They suspect there was a manufacturing glitch that installed defective or incorrect "Retainers" to hold these three "Captive" screws.

EngineMan

EngineMan

Good old Stihl....:thumbsup:

Fish

Fish

OK, here is an ipl copy of the Top cover.

If you get the top cover by ordering it, it comes with the left front screw only!!!

But you will notice that the screw is Stihl a self tapping one.

The other two are generic/likely and included on another lookup, but I may be wrong, of course.......

As you all know full well, I usually am........DSCN6242.jpg

DSCN6240.jpg

Fish

Fish

Let me see if I can clear this Up for You. You seem to be hung up on the Side Cover which includes the recoil start. This is NOT the cover I am talking about. If you go back to my original note, you will see that I said TOP cover...the cover which gives access to the air filter, carburetor, and spark plug. The cover DOES have 3 "captive" 6MM-1 screws to hold it on. It is made such that it can be quickly and easily removed to clean the dirt off the air filter, etc....daily, or as needed. Now, get OFF your Side Cover, and start thinking TOP cover...you will get a whole new perspective on this IF you can find the TOP cover.

Oh, and by the way, after contacting Stihl, they are sending me a whole new TOP cover, and want me to send the old one back.....Under Warranty. They suspect there was a manufacturing glitch that installed defective or incorrect "Retainers" to hold these three "Captive" screws.

Put up this correspondence, if you can, just curious. The saw is quite new, if they are really saying that they are at fault, it will help every Stihl customer if you put up the e-mail....

DJlawnboy

I give Fish the win on this one...he was the most respectful out of all you guys. Watch out for OP demidemon or whatever. Fish for moderator and/or president of the United States. Gfp55 was looking for forum cred by azz kissing...it failed.

Fish

Fish

Naw, I totally misread the original post, but either way, Stihl almost exclusively uses their self tapping fasteners, and if any person wants to unscrew and clean daily his saw is looking for nothing but trouble, the Loctite suggestion is silly on the self tapping screws....

I admit that I haven't worked on his model, but looking at the parts list, I can see the self tapping screws...

Fish

Fish

LOL this is why I subscribed to this thread...you will never see Fish bend the knee!

You were at the Garden Web? The name looks familiar...

DSepe

I give Fish the win on this one...he was the most respectful out of all you guys. Watch out for OP demidemon or whatever. Fish for moderator and/or president of the United States. Gfp55 was looking for forum cred by azz kissing...it failed.
One of the greatest posts made in forum history...

As for garden web it's possible but not active in a while.

D

deminin

If you get the top cover by ordering it, it comes with the left front screw only!!!

The other two are generic/likely and included on another lookup, but I may be wrong, of course.......

As you all know full well, I usually am........View attachment 22077

View attachment 22078

If you are capable of reading the IPL, you will see that item #20 calls for a quantity of Three (3), and nowhere is there any statement that these are self tapping screws. You obviously have Never seen this model saw.

gfp55

gfp55

If you are capable of reading the IPL, you will see that item #20 calls for a quantity of Three (3), and nowhere is there any statement that these are self tapping screws. You obviously have Never seen this model saw.

Hey deminin; fish and his buddy's DSepe and DJlawnboy are just f--king with you, they are not trying to help you, they just want to laugh at you. They have nothing better to do then waste time on the net, sitting at their parents house playing games. They have no life and they don't work so what else can they do after playing with themselves while watching porn till their johnson is chapped. So they try to start sh-t on forums, belittle people who have jobs and a life. They do not try to help anyone, just for kicks. If you don't believe me read their posts, not just this one. Read what they say on other posts. Its pitiful just pitiful. There are people on this forum that do try to help, you just have to weed out the ones who rode the short yellow bus to school. I hope you get you saw fixed, but your wasting your time with these boys. Good Luck

D

deminin

Hey deminin; fish and his buddy's DSepe and DJlawnboy are just f--king with you, they are not trying to help you, they just want to laugh at you. They have nothing better to do then waste time on the net, sitting at their parents house playing games. They have no life and they don't work so what else can they do after playing with themselves while watching porn till their johnson is chapped. So they try to start sh-t on forums, belittle people who have jobs and a life. They do not try to help anyone, just for kicks. If you don't believe me read their posts, not just this one. Read what they say on other posts. Its pitiful just pitiful. There are people on this forum that do try to help, you just have to weed out the ones who rode the short yellow bus to school. I hope you get you saw fixed, but your wasting your time with these boys. Good Luck

That's becoming pretty obvious. I don't think this Fish guy has ever even Seen a Stihl chainsaw...much less ever tried to work on one. It's a shame that a potentially useful forum such as this has to be "invaded" by idiots.

Carscw

Carscw

You have to excuse fish he has a disease called fuktardites it makes him think he is the only one that knows anything.

He has been kicked out of other groups.

gfp55

gfp55

That's becoming pretty obvious. I don't think this Fish guy has ever even Seen a Stihl chainsaw...much less ever tried to work on one. It's a shame that a potentially useful forum such as this has to be "invaded" by idiots.

Yes it is. Those idiots are on more then one forum also. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but when I posted some pictures of my saw, fish just started to get on my last nerve and pulled them. There is a moderator on here that is one of them, starts a thread that he knows will get people going and sits back and lets the abuse happen. Again I hope you get your saw the way you like it.

gfp55

gfp55

You have to excuse fish he has a disease called fuktardites it makes him think he is the only one that knows anything.

He has been kicked out of other groups.

I HAD a brother with that. Theres a CURE for that. The vaccine is very cheap and very effective, 100% effective in fact. I get mine at the sporting goods store.....

DSepe

You apparently haven't read many of my other posts on this forum...I have helped many people on this forum. What other posts do you speak off? You little tirade was cute but now it's time to grow up. I never belittled anyone on this forum ever...not like your doing right now. Name one single post in which I attacked a person on this forum.

DJlawnboy

Hey gfp55 at least I can still get my johnson up you old limp d---k. I don't use porn but I do use your replies to get my jollies :). Your so tough on here but we know your wife/gf wears the pants. If you wanna act like a internet tough guy to release sexual frustrations go ahead. You should be proud you work at Burger King and live in a trailer.

gfp55

gfp55

I stand by my statement.

DJlawnboy

I stand by my statement.
You pulled pictures from this thread that's how wrong you were kid. You couldn't even keep them up you were so embarrassed you screwed up.

gfp55

gfp55

I stand by my statement.

DJlawnboy

I stand by my statement.
Haha throwing in the towel that quickly. Lemme guess "I stand by my statement" is upcoming. I scrambled your brain with too much logic...Good win by me.

gfp55

gfp55

Hey gfp55 at least I can still get my johnson up you old limp d---k. I don't use porn but I do use your replies to get my jollies :). Your so tough on here but we know your wife/gf wears the pants. If you wanna act like a internet tough guy to release sexual frustrations go ahead. You should be proud you work at Burger King and live in a trailer.

And whats wrong with a "wife/gf? Do you have a problem with women?

DJlawnboy

And whats wrong with a "wife/gf? Do you have a problem with women?
Just a problem with weak men who bend over after any argument. Just like you did after attacking 3 people on this forum. You went in your corner after lashing out like a child. Most people don't progress past a 5th grader mentality that is scientific fact...suppose your one of them.

Carscw

Carscw

So what brand oil do you all use?

gfp55

gfp55

I use Mobil 1

D

deminin

Yes it is. Those idiots are on more then one forum also. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but when I posted some pictures of my saw, fish just started to get on my last nerve and pulled them. There is a moderator on here that is one of them, starts a thread that he knows will get people going and sits back and lets the abuse happen. Again I hope you get your saw the way you like it.

Yup, I got my saw under control and new parts should arrive any day. For now, I just put a couple of 6MM bolts in the empty holes, and that could probably hold forever. I've got a neighbor who is clearing a big plot to put in a huge workshop, so he is giving me all the wood for helping. I will probably have 15 to 18 cords of good oak by the time we're done. Needless to say the saw has been getting a workout...and me, too. By the time we're done, I should have almost a 2 year supply for my outdoor wood furnace.

I think I know where Fish gets his "self tapping" screws idea from. He probably saw a T after a bolt in an IPL, and assumed that meant "tapping". He probably doesn't know that Stihl uses #27 TORX bolts for nearly all its fasteners...heck he probably doesn't even know what a Torx bolt is.

Fish

Fish

Yup, I got my saw under control and new parts should arrive any day. For now, I just put a couple of 6MM bolts in the empty holes, and that could probably hold forever. I've got a neighbor who is clearing a big plot to put in a huge workshop, so he is giving me all the wood for helping. I will probably have 15 to 18 cords of good oak by the time we're done. Needless to say the saw has been getting a workout...and me, too. By the time we're done, I should have almost a 2 year supply for my outdoor wood furnace.

I think I know where Fish gets his "self tapping" screws idea from. He probably saw a T after a bolt in an IPL, and assumed that meant "tapping". He probably doesn't know that Stihl uses #27 TORX bolts for nearly all its fasteners...heck he probably doesn't even know what a Torx bolt is.

No, if you morons would bother to look at the parts lists that I put up, you would see that STIHL calls them "self tapping screws".

Are you kids serious?

Fish

Fish

.View attachment 22076

Look at the description of part # 13 and #15

Fish

Fish

As you all know full well, I usually am........View attachment 22077

View attachment 22078

# 5 describes itself as a self tapping screw here too.

Fish

Fish

You absolute moron, the T-27 is the tool that fits 99% of the modern fasteners for Stihl, but the threads and pitch/and whether self tapping or what, are totally different. I am sorry, but you are a moron.

Fish

Fish

Something must be up here.....This is the most inane discussion that I have ever been drug into... I know Carsacw, but he isn't that intelligent....

D

deminin

No, if you morons would bother to look at the parts lists that I put up, you would see that STIHL calls them "self tapping screws".

Are you kids serious?

OK...If you were smart enough to read the IPL, you would see that item #5 IS a self tapping screw...and it mounts the air filter housing to the base. That is the ONLY self tapping screw shown on your IPL...and it is NOT a normal user service screw. However, if you look at ALL the other screws, NONE of them are self tapping, and any screw that might be in a normal user or serviceable position is a 6MM Torx bolt, which mounts into a steel insert in the frame. Your analysis is 99% Wrong.

gfp55

gfp55

Still dwelling on the wrong cover and wrong bolts.

Fish

Fish

Your pic # 4 shows a screw with no threads left on it, can you take a better pic?????

Fish

Fish

How about a pic of all of the threads???????

Fish

Fish

OK...If you were smart enough to read the IPL, you would see that item #5 IS a self tapping screw...and it mounts the air filter housing to the base. That is the ONLY self tapping screw shown on your IPL...and it is NOT a normal user service screw. However, if you look at ALL the other screws, NONE of them are self tapping, and any screw that might be in a normal user or serviceable position is a 6MM Torx bolt, which mounts into a steel insert in the frame. Your analysis is 99% Wrong.

Torx just designates the driver, has nothing to do with the threads.

gfp55

gfp55

Your pic # 4 shows a screw with no threads left on it, can you take a better pic?????

The first set of pictures are the pictures of the top cover that you said had nothing to do with the topic, remember? Here are some new pictures of my saw. My camera doesn't take good closeups, sorry.

D

deminin

Torx just designates the driver, has nothing to do with the threads.

Yes, TORX is a type of "drive"...derived from Hex drives. Virtually Every bolt in a Stihl chainsaw that is in a user or serviceable position is a 6MM-1(pitch) T27 Torx drive bolt/screw, which is screwed into a steel insert that is moulded or pressed into the body or frame.

gfp55

gfp55

Are you kids serious?

You absolute moron, the T-27 is the tool that fits 99% of the modern fasteners for Stihl, but the threads and pitch/and whether self tapping or what, are totally different. I am sorry, but you are a moron.

Something must be up here.....This is the most inane discussion that I have ever been drug into... I know Carsacw, but he isn't that intelligent....

How about a pic of all of the threads???????

Do you hear voices in your head? There is nobody on this thread named moron, morons, you morons or absolute moron. Who are you talking to? I've read this thread from top to bottom and have not seen this person you keep calling out to. I'm sorry but your friend moron is not here, maybe they will return soon. Take it easy.

Fish

Fish

Yes, TORX is a type of "drive"...derived from Hex drives. Virtually Every bolt in a Stihl chainsaw that is in a user or serviceable position is a 6MM-1(pitch) T27 Torx drive bolt/screw, which is screwed into a steel insert that is moulded or pressed into the body or frame.

That is the statement that is the problem here!

I will concede that the MS391 top cover screws are what you have said, I was wrong in mistaking them for the starter fasteners, which are self tapping, like 90% of all Stihl chainsaw fasteners after 1990.

The T-27 driver is just the tool that is used to work on the saws, it has nothing to do with the threads..

But most of all of the saws today are zipped together with self tapping fasteners, even the engine pan bolts....

gfp55

gfp55

I will concede that the MS391 top cover screws are what you have said, I was wrong in mistaking them for the starter fasteners, which are self tapping, like 90% of all Stihl chainsaw fasteners after 1990.

The T-27 driver is just the tool that is used to work on the saws, it has nothing to do with the threads..

But most of all of the saws today are zipped together with self tapping fasteners, even the engine pan bolts....

Why do you keep going on about something that has nothing to do with the OP, you called everyone morons, morons, morons. You were wrong from the start and would not listen to anyone. You said there was not any (captive) screws, you were talking about the wrong cover and now its the self tapping screws. You need to read the whole thread from start to finish and that means your posts also and see who was wrong and who would not listening and then put yourself in the OP and others shoes. Then say to yourself would I listen to that guy fish now? I (gfp55) said some things to you that were wrong. I was out of line and I hope you take my sincere apologies as intended. I will be the first to admit that I don't know sh-t, its not the first and it won't be the last time I'll have to say that to myself and others. I'm done rambling now.

Fish

Fish

Why do you keep going on about something that has nothing to do with the OP, you called everyone morons, morons, morons. You were wrong from the start and would not listen to anyone. You said there was not any (captive) screws, you were talking about the wrong cover and now its the self tapping screws. You need to read the whole thread from start to finish and that means your posts also and see who was wrong and who would not listening and then put yourself in the OP and others shoes. Then say to yourself would I listen to that guy fish now? I (gfp55) said some things to you that were wrong. I was out of line and I hope you take my sincere apologies as intended. I will be the first to admit that I don't know sh-t, its not the first and it won't be the last time I'll have to say that to myself and others. I'm done rambling now.

I was out of line as well, I apologize for where I was wrong, to all of the guys here, but I will not concede the wrong info for the record here. Yes, it is true that I have never actually worked on the ms391, and was wrong on which "cover" in the original discussion, but to expect that the readers here to accept that Stihl uses no self tapping fasteners, is a big falsehood.

D

deminin

This past Winter I tore my old 2001 036 PRO completely down...it had bad crankshaft bearings. I had the saw virtually completely apart, and I found Absolutely NO "self tapping" screws. Virtually every one of them was a 6MM-1 with a Torx 27 head. The picture you posted of the 391, with a self tapping screw holding the air filter housing to the frame is the First self tapping screw I have seen on either of my Stihl saws. A cheap Poulan saw from Walmart "might" have some self tapping screws, but I have never seen any serviceable screws on a Stihl that are anything but what I say. I would challenge you to pick up a cheap "parts only" saw from EBAY, and do some homework.

Fish

Fish

Yeah baby!!!1

Fish

Fish

This past Winter I tore my old 2001 036 PRO completely down...it had bad crankshaft bearings. I had the saw virtually completely apart, and I found Absolutely NO "self tapping" screws. Virtually every one of them was a 6MM-1 with a Torx 27 head. The picture you posted of the 391, with a self tapping screw holding the air filter housing to the frame is the First self tapping screw I have seen on either of my Stihl saws. A cheap Poulan saw from Walmart "might" have some self tapping screws, but I have never seen any serviceable screws on a Stihl that are anything but what I say. I would challenge you to pick up a cheap "parts only" saw from EBAY, and do some homework.

You have lost your mind then????????

Fish

Fish

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Fish

Fish

Yeah, we can go there easily.....

Fish

Fish

Yes, baby.....

Fish

Fish

we know your pain!!!!!