Stihl FS56 Trimmer Gear Head Maintenance

maxman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The user manual does not say anything about servicing the gear head, but I run the heck out of this thing. On a prior Sthil I had, the gear set wore out and replacement was over $125 because it was an odd model. Should this be taken apart and cleaned and re-greased periodically? Like I said, I work it hard and sometimes the head ends up under water. I try to avoid this, but it is not always possible.

Thanks!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
maxman, I only have worked on a Ryobi ,but if the design is shared this may help . The ryobi pinion gearset was accessible by removing the lower "click on" shaft and opening the "clamshell" pinion gear housing. Then you should have access to the gearset to clean (solvent) and repack. Also once I greased the gears by removing a machine screw "plug" on the clamshell . It was threaded metric, I believe, so you could not screw in an SAE zerk. That hole could easily be drilled and tapped for an SAE zerk. I just butted the grease gun fitting head against the hole and pumped 'til I felt resistance when hand turning the drive head. Then pump a little more. If you do this it violates the perfect world warning against mixing greases. (big deal?).

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
There is screw at the top that you can buy a tube that screw in there that they sale buy it I also have the 56 I love mine no bad for a homeowner unit using professionally :thumbsup::thumbsup: