Stihl FS130 R problem: Won't start when it's cold.

Bill C

Forum Newbie
Threads
I started working on my FS130r because it was hard to start. I looked at the valve settings and the intake was a little bit off so I got the valves adjusted. I still had trouble starting it. Then I replaced a new carb, new fuel tank air vent. Still not start. Then squirt a small amount of premix fuel into the carb to see it it fires up. I started pull robs then i have no problem to start it up with first pull. But if I let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes and try to start it again it won't start again unles I squirt fuel into the carb. Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you tuned the carburetor?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either the choke system is not working or the crankcase seals are leaking

Bill C

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you tuned the carburetor?
Yes, I did. I adjusted and it ran& idle well. The only problem is I cannot start without squirt the gas in the carb when it cold.

Bill C

Forum Newbie
Threads
Either the choke system is not working or the crankcase seals are leaking
not sure about choke systems. How do I check to see if the crankcase seals are leaking? Do I suppose to see any oil out of the crankcase?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes, I did. I adjusted and it ran& idle well. The only problem is I cannot start without squirt the gas in the carb when it cold.
If you tune only for best speed then that might be the problem.
These are the initial mixture settings and speed settings/
1661955074859.png

Carburetor low speed tuning.
1661954855798.png

1661955260458.png

Bill C

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Stihl FS130 R problem: Won't start when it's cold.
not sure about choke systems. How do I check to see if the crankcase seals are leaking? Do I suppose to see any oil out of the crankcase?
I rechecked the carburetor and found out that I installed a wrong gasket size. it is a little bit small and cover the choke hole when it is open. So I redo it. It is a little difficut to start when it is cold; however, it starts. I am happy it starts when it is cold so I don't have to squirt the gas in the carburator. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Stihl FS130 R problem: Won't start when it's cold.
I got myself caught out a few times by tuning a hot engine that the customer could not start so it ran beautifully for the 2 tanks of fuel I test with , only to find that they would not start stone cold when the customer came to pick them up.
So now they sit overnight to get checked in the morning stone cold.
In most cases I had them too rich on the idle so with the choke on the mix was too rich to fire .