Stihl BR550 blower no spark

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fish is probably right. Things the 4 mix engines don't like are more oil than 50:1 and running at partial throttle and long periods of idiling. It tends to carbon them up. If you get it decarboned and running try Red Armor oil. It leaves less carbon than any other oil i have run. The worst is Stihl Ultra synthetic. Never run it more than 50:1 or it will carbon things up. If you can't find the stihl stuff use Sea Foam.

glentre

Threads
Fish,
Interesting that Stihl came out with a liquid to help resolve sticky valve problems in their 4-mix engines. Seems like an admission that the engine is prone to valve stem carbon buildup. I found a Stihl service bulletin on the liquid that says to put the piston on valve overlap where both valves are open at the same time and then fill the cylinder with the liquid and let it soak for an hour. I assume this will also coat the valves, stems and guides of both partially open valves and hopefully free them up. Thanks for the heads up on this liquid as it's certainly worth trying before tearing into the engine. Also interesting is the fact that there is a short time when both valves are open as I found in my analysis of the valve working sequence.

I am now away from home and will not be back to work on the blower until late this week or on the weekend. There are Stihl dealers where I'm at now so I'll try to pick up a bottle of the "magic liquid" so I'll have it when I get back. Let's hope the problem is no more serious than a carbonized hung up valve.

I'll post again as soon as I get back to work on the blower.

Glen

John Ambrosia

Threads
I know this thread is now 2 years old but I am having the same problem with my BR550. No spark. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your machine?