Stihl Bg55 will not do anything.

jhunsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stihl Bg55 will not do anything.

I have two of these gas blowers that I will try to repair for a friend.
I have one running just fine.
The other wont do a thing, zero, it wont even try to start, not even a puff on starting fluid.

I switched the carbs between the two. The one that was running, runs fine with either carb.
The one that didn't run still does not run. At least I know I have two good carbs.
I clean the spark plug, and the baffle or spark arrestor. It also has 55 on a compression test.
Fresh fuel and new spark plug. Yes the spark plug has a nice blue spark.
Also checked that the prime bulb is pushing fuel. While pushing the primer bulb and holding
one finger in the tank I can feel fuel returning to the tank.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. What can it be. HELP?????:confused2:

d_sharier

Threads
55 psi on your compression test tells you that the engine on your BG55 has suffered a catastrophic failure. Stihl tells us that a rebuild or replacement should be considered when a compression test reads 110 psi or lower

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems 2 threads come to same conclusion.

Test running ones compression I feel you will get your answer

jhunsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to all that replied. :thumbsup:

I check the compression on the other as advised an found it had compression of 105.

Next thing I did was tear down the one with no or only 55 compression.

It was really easy to take apart. I found the piston was scratched up pretty bad and both rings are broken.

New piston and rings on the way from E-Bay. $27.00 For $27 I will take a chance.

I cant see or feel any damage to the cylinder wall.

Most likely was run on straight gas.

gfp55

Threads
Thank you to all that replied. :thumbsup:

I check the compression on the other as advised an found it had compression of 105.

Next thing I did was tear down the one with no or only 55 compression.

It was really easy to take apart. I found the piston was scratched up pretty bad and both rings are broken.

New piston and rings on the way from E-Bay. $27.00 For $27 I will take a chance.

I cant see or feel any damage to the cylinder wall.

Most likely was run on straight gas.

Good, I'm glad you were able to find a likely problem. I think you should be in good shape once its back together. They must have run it a long time on just gas. Keep us updated, OK