Stereo/radio - headphone radio

Cusser

Threads
My 2005 Craftsman lawn tractor is 12 volt. I was wondering
(1) if anyone ever grafted/installed an old AM-FM car stereo to their lawn tractor
(2) if anyone here uses some sort of headphone-radio successfully (please detail make/model if you do).

I have 1.5 acres of weeds that I mow.
Thanks, and all ideas will be evaluated.

Last edited:

Cusser

Threads
Updated with 2nd question
My 2005 Craftsman lawn tractor is 12 volt. I was wondering
(1) if anyone ever grafted/installed an old AM-FM car stereo to their lawn tractor
(2) if anyone here uses some sort of headphone-radio successfully (please detail make/model if you do).

I have 1.5 acres of weeds that I mow.
Thanks, and all ideas will be evaluated.

HughDaHand

Threads
It should be possible in theory. I am a little worried that the low tech charging system in most lawnmowers might make for some dirty power and cause a little static. Personally I just found it much easier to use an old mp3 player I have or my cell phone to play music so I never attempted something like this.

Cusser

Threads
Good comment on the static. Maybe AM-FM noise deadening headphones are a better idea.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Used to see what they called Yard Phones with full enclosed muffs and built in radio. Not real expensive but I wonder how good the sound deadening really is.

Bob E

Threads
I've been using these 3M Peltor Work Tunes 26 WTD2600 for a year or two. They do a Pretty good job deadening sound, but squeeze your head kind of tight for an airtight seal. I think the antenna is a little short too. I only get reliable reception on a couple stations, classic country and classic rock, which suits me just fine. They also have an 1/8" stereo jack so I can pipe in tunes from other devices. And I haven't had to change the AA's yet.
One of my neighbors still likes to come out and give me a goofy look whenever I wear them. Probably wants to talk, or has a bone to pick, or something. I just wave, turn up the volume, and keep mowin' :cool:

IMG_2311.JPG

cruzenmike

Threads
There are multiple options of 3M work tunes, one that is just AM/FM, one that is just bluetooth capable and one that has both. I have seen prices for these from around $50-100 depending on which features you want. Another option is to simply use a bluetooth speaker strapped to your mower. You can stream from your phone or you could even find one with radio. The battery life on these speakers is quite good these days with upwards of 24 hours of playback on a charge.

Cusser

Threads
There are multiple options of 3M work tunes, one that is just AM/FM, one that is just bluetooth capable and one that has both. I have seen prices for these from around $50-100 depending on which features you want. Another option is to simply use a bluetooth speaker strapped to your mower. You can stream from your phone or you could even find one with radio. The battery life on these speakers is quite good these days with upwards of 24 hours of playback on a charge.

Ha ! I don't have BlueTooth and my phone is a $7 TracFone. I'm likely to try the 3M Work Tunes AM-FM unit. Thanks.TracFone.gif