Steering gets stuck on sharp turns

Corbin5754

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a snapper 28" 9hp rear engine rider and when I make sharp turns it gets stuck and I have to jerk the wheel pretty hard to get it straight again. Is there something wrong or can I just grease the turning parts to solve this? Thanks

deck~dragger

Threads
Make sure there is correct air pressure in all tires, psi is on the sidewall, grease the front axles if there is a grease zerk on the wheel rims, spray a quality lubricant on the lower steering parts. If that doesn't work, jack up the front end and see if both front wheels turn freely by hand.

Corbin5754

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure there is correct air pressure in all tires, psi is on the sidewall, grease the front axles if there is a grease zerk on the wheel rims, spray a quality lubricant on the lower steering parts. If that doesn't work, jack up the front end and see if both front wheels turn freely by hand.

I'll check those out thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is an old mower, check the steering linkages they can go loose, wear the holes oval or just bend to the point that they cross over each other and lock.
Similarly a loose bolt hanging down can also snag the steering linkages.

ckmchase

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the exact same problem. Need to jerk the wheel pretty hard after a full turn. Tire pressure is fine. Lubricated steering linkages. Is it possible that the grease nipples on the wheel are clogged? Any fix, if so?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Air pressure is around 14psi in the front and 10 in the rear. Check your manual for proper air specs.

Maybe your steering linkage is bent causing excessive tire turnage. Don't turn so sharp.

Might have worn out front tires too. Slow down your mowing speed. Put new fronts on and recheck.