Steering damper question

skip49

Threads
Concerning the little dampers on each steering lever of my mower(XDX), is it possible that the rod could just unscrew itself from the knuckle at the front, as opposed to it being broken?
Very low hours, and while I haven’t accessed the damper yet, I can see the threaded end of the rod just hanging loose, and I don’t see any damage at all.
So is it possible that it just unscrewed itself?
Thanks,
Skip

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Concerning the little dampers on each steering lever of my mower(XDX), is it possible that the rod could just unscrew itself from the knuckle at the front, as opposed to it being broken?
Very low hours, and while I haven’t accessed the damper yet, I can see the threaded end of the rod just hanging loose, and I don’t see any damage at all.
So is it possible that it just unscrewed itself?
Thanks,
Skip
I guess that it’s possible. However, it’s unlikely.
Is your machine under warranty? If so, have it seen about.

skip49

Threads
I guess that it’s possible. However, it’s unlikely.
Is your machine under warranty? If so, have it seen about.
It is under warranty. Thank you for your reply.
Skip

clubairth

Threads
My Raptor SD54 did the same thing and what has happened is it has not unscrewed. The rod has pulled out of the threaded end. You can purchase just the ends too and I got some with metal threads instead of the crappy plastic units used from the factory.

skip49

Threads
My Raptor SD54 did the same thing and what has happened is it has not unscrewed. The rod has pulled out of the threaded end. You can purchase just the ends too and I got some with metal threads instead of the crappy plastic units used from the factory.
Thanks, I didn’t know metal was available. Turns out on my XDX, from the very beginning, my steering was very “jerky” when turning. At around 30 or so hours I spotted the damper on the right was hanging loose at the front end. I assumed the plastic knuckle was broken or stripped.
I took the damper and knuckle off and couldn’t see anything wrong with it, so I screwed it all the way on and reinstalled it.
That took care of the jerkyness and the mower is as smooth as silk,(just the steering, NOT the ride!) LOL.
It was apparently never attached at the factory, and was not caught during the dealer pre-delivery service.
Anyway, I’m glad it’s fixed and it’s good to know about the availability of metal replacements if ever needed.
Thanks again.
Skip

clubairth

Threads
Hope it works? But what I found is yes it will thread back on. But if it has pulled the threads once it would not stay together long?
But yours sounds like it was not hooked up from the factory so nothing is broken. Should stay together.