STC48A-19K sputtering issues.

scagman2

Threads
Have a 2003 Tiger Cub STC48A-19K with FH601V Kawasaki engine. It has 1200 hours and has been a reliable mower. This fall while mulching leaves, have had sputtering issues under heavy leaf loads. This sputtering happened earlier this summer which was corrected by replacing the fuel filter. Replaced F/F again, checked under deck for clogging, ok, but sputtering continues. Found out it does this when fuel shut off valve is in the right tank position. Put on left tank position and sputtering ceases. Could the right tank extra fuel line length or perhaps fuel tank gunk be at fault? My next task will be to remove right fuel tank and flush it out as well as fuel lines. Any opinions? Could this be more than just fuel issues or am I on the right track?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be junk in the right fuel tank causing issues, or could be something goofy with the fuel line between the tank and the tank control valve. Or could be something as simple as water in the right fuel tank.

scagman2

Threads
Could be junk in the right fuel tank causing issues, or could be something goofy with the fuel line between the tank and the tank control valve. Or could be something as simple as water in the right fuel tank.

Thanks, will check it out and post later.

scagman2

Threads
Removed right side tank, inspected fuel line and tank line outlet, all ok. Did find a 10" piece of garden hose in the tank. Can only guess that as the engine demanded more fuel under a load, the hose blocked fuel flow at the tank line outlet. How or why the hose was in the tank I'll never know. No more leaves to mulch, will wait until next spring to see if this was the cause of the sputtering.