Stator situation

ChanMan86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, this is my first post on here....I have a 25hp Intek on a Swisher zeroturn....I got the mower from a family member a couple of months ago....it had a new battery when I got it bit after using the mower a few times it got to where I had to start hooking the battery up to a charger before I used it....so I checked the output from the stator and it showed zero....I removed the flywheel only to discover the stator was completely melted-beyond the point of salvaging or rewinding....the stator literally crumbled into pieces....my question is---can I run the mower with no stator at all?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
You should get 3 to 4 hours of mowing out of a fully charged mower battery
The reason it burned, crumbled & fell apart is because the DPO ran it with a duff battery.
There is very little cooling on a mower stator so running full power trying to recharge a battery that will not hold a charge causes them to overheat to destruction.
Been waiting a full year for a new loom for a Time Master used by a commercial customer
In the mean time we disconnected the alternator & just kept swapping the battery twice a day
Got the new loom now so it will go in next week

ChanMan86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes
You should get 3 to 4 hours of mowing out of a fully charged mower battery
The reason it burned, crumbled & fell apart is because the DPO ran it with a duff battery.
There is very little cooling on a mower stator so running full power trying to recharge a battery that will not hold a charge causes them to overheat to destruction.
Been waiting a full year for a new loom for a Time Master used by a commercial customer
In the mean time we disconnected the alternator & just kept swapping the battery twice a day
Got the new loom now so it will go in next week
Alright that said though...will it be okay to run with the stator removed from the engine completely?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It won't damage anything past what is already damaged. As a side note to the issue. If it has a voltage regulator and it shorts out can also cause the melted destroyed stator.

ChanMan86

Forum Newbie
Threads
It won't damage anything past what is already damaged. As a side note to the issue. If it has a voltage regulator and it shorts out can also cause the melted destroyed stator.
Thank you....I've ordered a new stator and regulator for it.....my yard has been WAY past due for a cut and the missus is reminding me everyday, so looks like I am going to be mowing in the morning

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plus if the electric PTO clutch is partially short can also be a source of the problem. I have seen these to be partially shorted and pull up to 20 amp and still work. Normally they pull between 3 and 5 amp with 7 amps being consider a max safe current pull.

ChanMan86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Plus if the electric PTO clutch is partially short can also be a source of the problem. I have seen these to be partially shorted and pull up to 20 amp and still work. Normally they pull between 3 and 5 amp with 7 amps being consider a max safe current pull.
Thank you, I will MOST DEFINITELY check that......out of boredom and ignorance---mainly ignorance, i removed the flywheel from the 18hp opposed twin that I have here amongst all the other potential profits/projects/procrastinations to have a look-see at the stator on it and too my utter amazement it looks brand new and it the bolt holes match those on the 25hp

ChanMan86

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm going for it 🤣

Attachments

• received_272330625262929.jpeg
    received_272330625262929.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 1
  • received_282972520748101.jpeg
    received_282972520748101.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All modern B & S Stators will interchange .
Which is handy when looking for a replacement because you can buy one with the cheapie dual circuit then swap over your old one .
As that engine will often be hundreds cheaper