Export thread

Stator situation

C

ChanMan86

Hello, this is my first post on here....I have a 25hp Intek on a Swisher zeroturn....I got the mower from a family member a couple of months ago....it had a new battery when I got it bit after using the mower a few times it got to where I had to start hooking the battery up to a charger before I used it....so I checked the output from the stator and it showed zero....I removed the flywheel only to discover the stator was completely melted-beyond the point of salvaging or rewinding....the stator literally crumbled into pieces....my question is---can I run the mower with no stator at all?

B

bertsmobile1

Yes
You should get 3 to 4 hours of mowing out of a fully charged mower battery
The reason it burned, crumbled & fell apart is because the DPO ran it with a duff battery.
There is very little cooling on a mower stator so running full power trying to recharge a battery that will not hold a charge causes them to overheat to destruction.
Been waiting a full year for a new loom for a Time Master used by a commercial customer
In the mean time we disconnected the alternator & just kept swapping the battery twice a day
Got the new loom now so it will go in next week

C

ChanMan86

Yes
You should get 3 to 4 hours of mowing out of a fully charged mower battery
The reason it burned, crumbled & fell apart is because the DPO ran it with a duff battery.
There is very little cooling on a mower stator so running full power trying to recharge a battery that will not hold a charge causes them to overheat to destruction.
Been waiting a full year for a new loom for a Time Master used by a commercial customer
In the mean time we disconnected the alternator & just kept swapping the battery twice a day
Got the new loom now so it will go in next week
Alright that said though...will it be okay to run with the stator removed from the engine completely?

I

ILENGINE

It won't damage anything past what is already damaged. As a side note to the issue. If it has a voltage regulator and it shorts out can also cause the melted destroyed stator.

C

ChanMan86

It won't damage anything past what is already damaged. As a side note to the issue. If it has a voltage regulator and it shorts out can also cause the melted destroyed stator.
Thank you....I've ordered a new stator and regulator for it.....my yard has been WAY past due for a cut and the missus is reminding me everyday, so looks like I am going to be mowing in the morning

StarTech

StarTech

Plus if the electric PTO clutch is partially short can also be a source of the problem. I have seen these to be partially shorted and pull up to 20 amp and still work. Normally they pull between 3 and 5 amp with 7 amps being consider a max safe current pull.

C

ChanMan86

Plus if the electric PTO clutch is partially short can also be a source of the problem. I have seen these to be partially shorted and pull up to 20 amp and still work. Normally they pull between 3 and 5 amp with 7 amps being consider a max safe current pull.
Thank you, I will MOST DEFINITELY check that......out of boredom and ignorance---mainly ignorance, i removed the flywheel from the 18hp opposed twin that I have here amongst all the other potential profits/projects/procrastinations to have a look-see at the stator on it and too my utter amazement it looks brand new and it the bolt holes match those on the 25hp

C

ChanMan86

I'm going for it 🤣

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

All modern B & S Stators will interchange .
Which is handy when looking for a replacement because you can buy one with the cheapie dual circuit then swap over your old one .
As that engine will often be hundreds cheaper