Starts but dies.

Bobw2bs

Forum Newbie
Threads
48" WB Encore mower, kawasaki 420v with hydrostatic drive. Starts right up, idles fine but will die after some use. Feels like it loads when using the drive controls and will die unless i choke it. I can shut it off and wait a few min and it will start right up again. I have throughly cleaned the carb and blown it out with the same results. I love the mower and have not had any problems since buying it some 4or5 years ago. When the issue begins I feel a slight shudder in the hydro controls. When the change in rpms begins I have disengaged the drive and the blades but the engine still dies. I can only keep it running by choking. I am wondering if the ignition module is failing or perhaps something as simple as a spark plug being faulty. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas if you have experienced similar issues. Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you can keep it running by choking it, it pretty much indicates a fuel issue. Take a container, pull the fuel line off of the carb and put over the container and watch for a minute or two, see if it flows good and consistent, and look in the bottom of the container for water and debris.

Let us know what you find.

Bobw2bs

Forum Newbie
Threads
image.jpg
If you can keep it running by choking it, it pretty much indicates a fuel issue. Take a container, pull the fuel line off of the carb and put over the container and watch for a minute or two, see if it flows good and consistent, and look in the bottom of the container for water and debris.

Let us know what you find.

Ok sorry for taking so long to thank you. I did drain the gas and all looked good until I got to the bottom of the tank. I guess the fuel gelled and it was enough to let it start but not continue to run. I took some pictures of the sludge and will try to post them with this reply. Again thanks. I also replaced the fuel line and filter and the beast ran as good as ever.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
That looks like half molten plastic. Just in general, never let anyone use anything other than an approved fuel container to transport fuel, or you can destroy a good engine.

I have called the syndrome "THE MILKJUG EFFECT!!!!!"

So if you ever hear it again, they stole the name from me....

Unfortunately, it is fairly common here in KY.....