starting the process over

Simple guy

Threads
I thought I had it figured out then I did more research and finally just cancelled my order until I figure out what is what. I am going to get a zero turn and have it down to three choices. Bad Boy mz48, hustler sport 48" and the toro mx4260. I have less then an acre of yard and is flat...just the usual trees, house and garage to mow around.

I currently have a simplicity lawn tractor that has two blades. When I make turns I get grass that is not cut. Sharpened the blades and am going slow...same results. So I think I want to go to a three blade deck to eliminate that issue maybe. Problem is the Bad Boy and Hustler have the EZT hydro's and I have read they are not any good.

The Toro mx4260 has the better hydro in it but it is a smaller deck with two blades. I can not do a 50 inch deck.

I bag the clippings and travel ~10 blocks to the village compost center to recycle the clippings so there is some traveling with the unit.

Not sure what to do. Maybe I am over thinking this whole process but I hate to have buyers remorse.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

jimrs

Threads
I have just over an acre so your in the right size mowers. Zturn mowers are a lot of fun to mow with. I bought the Toro as it fit what I needed. I think Toro makes a great mower for the price and that is why I got one. You can drive yourself crazy by reading everything on the internet on brands and such. Go to a local dealer and talk to them they will be able to steer you in the right direction. Not a Local dealer like HD, Or Lowes.

WISCOPROUD

Threads
i would definitely go with the Toro. Hustler and Bad boy not GTG

Simple guy

Threads
Problem that i see is when i go tonthe local dealer their brand is always the best. How about the two blade vs three blade concern i have

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Problem that i see is when i go to the local dealer their brand is always the best. How about the two blade vs three blade concern i have

That's a typical response from any dealer, what they sell is always the best. As far as the mowers you're looking at I'd stay as far away from Bad Boy as I could. The Tractor Supply here that sold those were taking them to the dealer I use to get them fixed before they could sell the things, about 75% of the BB mowers they received there was something wrong with and couldn't be sold until they were repaired. The Hustler would be the best out of the three and personally I' get the one with the Kawasaki Engine and not that Briggs & Stratton.

As far as the two blade setup vs the three blade it all comes down to what preference you have. The hustler you're talking about is a three blade setup and has an 18,600 blade tip speed, the residential mower I don't believe will run that high so you not going to get as nice a cut.

Last edited:

WISCOPROUD

Threads
Problem that i see is when i go tonthe local dealer their brand is always the best. How about the two blade vs three blade concern i have

typical dealer. i work on Toro and they are very good machines. if machine is set up properly (deck is leveled & RPMS correct) the 2 blade setup cuts GREAT. Hustler&BB:ashamed:

Simple guy

Threads
Thank for the help. Im leaning toward the toro. Seems to have a better hydro system. Still a little worried about the two blade vs thre blade tho.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Toro mx4260 has the better hydro in it but it is a smaller deck with two blades. I can not do a 50 inch deck.

Thanks!

If you check the Spec sheet you'll find the Toro Mx 4260 is running the ZT 2200, the same EZT Transmission as the others. Another thing to consider is that people here and on other forums continually talk about is the the Big Box store mowers and say is never buy a mower from one of those places. The Toro is sold at Home Depot and the Bad Boy is sold at Tractor supply, that's not to say there not a decent mower, just not the quality mower like the Hustler.

Last edited:

Simple guy

Threads
Thanks thats good to know. Is that a decent hydo?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks thats good to know. Is that a decent hydo?

Whether it's a good hydro or not is debatable, it would depend on what motor it's matched with and how often or how much the unit will be used. Most of your mower manufacturers like Toro, Cub Cadet, Ariens and so on use the EZT transmission on there residential units because they're cheaper and they can keep the price down for that particular targeted range of consumer ( the homeowner )

The problem with the EZT IMO is it's a sealed unit and doesn't have any oil filter to keep the oil filtered and any repairs need too be done by a dealer, if you can find one that will make repairs and just not just not do a replacement with a new drive.

My personal opinion and I were you I'd step up a class in the Hustler line and look at the Fastrak 48, you'll have a better mower because it's a commercial unit with a better motor and the 3100 Hydro-gear hydrostatic drive units, you'd never have to worry about buying another mower as a homeowner.