Starting Problem

Goober11

Threads
I have a 18.5 HP Briggs 31P777 0293E2. It is on a Troy 42" mower with a bagger on it. I picked this up about 2 years ago just to use in the fall to pick up leaves. It was running but not great. With help from people here I found out the head gasket was blownI it runs fine now. It has always been hard to start like the timing is to high it will kick back on the starter. I have double check the valve adjustment. When it kicks back on the starter and the engine stops turning I can rotate the engine back about 360 deg. hit the starter and it will fire up. It will start some times like there is nothing wrong.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either the vale adjustment is on the edge of what works, or the compression release on the camshaft is sticking in the disengaged position and causing problems. Have seem the sticking camshaft issue more than the valves slightly out of adjustment issue.

Goober11

Threads
Thanks ILENGINE, So the sticking compression release is something I can repair or does the camshaft need replacing. Not really up on small engines. Was a diesel mechanic on road tractors for 35 years.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
will require camshaft replacement. My policy is if I suspect a camshaft issue and have to go exploring I just go ahead and replace the camshaft. Just too much risk of it looking fine and then not working all the time.

Goober11

Threads
Thanks for the info. The mower does have some age on it (2006) so I will have to way my options out. I do have another motor that runs good my just swap motors out then take my time and pull the other one down.