Starting Problem

Nat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor. You have to press down the brake in order for it to start. I have a difficult time finding the right spot for it to start. I have to play with the brake pedal till I find the starting spot. Is there a way to by-pass having to press the brake to get it started? Or, how do I fix the problem?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor. You have to press down the brake in order for it to start. I have a difficult time finding the right spot for it to start. I have to play with the brake pedal till I find the starting spot. Is there a way to by-pass having to press the brake to get it started? Or, how do I fix the problem?

Look down at the bottom of the brake. There will be a switch the it pushes in.
It could be lose or out of adjustment.

Nat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tractor model number is 917.274951 for the starting problem of having to press the brake pedal in different positions before it will start. Is there a bypass or a fix?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tractor model number is 917.274951 for the starting problem of having to press the brake pedal in different positions before it will start. Is there a bypass or a fix?

Absolutely not as far as bypassing, this is for your personal Safety as well as others. Do as carsw said, or replace switch. Sears Parts Direct, enter 917274951 for parts & manual.

Mikel1

Threads
Absolutely not as far as bypassing, this is for your personal Safety as well as others. Do as carsw said, or replace switch. Sears Parts Direct, enter 917274951 for parts & manual.
This x2.
Is there not a parking brake on this model?