starting problem with Craftsman 22 HP model 917.275972

musky000

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / starting problem with Craftsman 22 HP model 917.275972
I know this is not a new topic and I have looked at other posts with similar issues but I am bit stumped so here are the details for some help.

Mower will not turn over with the key on. I was having issues last year as well and I could often get it going by just using a screwdriver on the two terminals of the solenoid. So I put a new solenoid on but it did not fix the issue.

Now this spring same issues. I took my meter and the battery is fine. Cleaned terminals. All good. Checked for ground. Good to go for main ground cable.

I also checked the ground of the solenoid to the frame and it is fine.

I have over 12 volts at all time to the positive side of the solenoid. Nothing on the other side when the key is turned. I checked the seat switch and it is working fine. No issues.

I had a defective PTO switch but changed it and it now is fine.

( just had rechecked the white wire to the small post of the solenoid. Nothing. If I use alligator clips and give it power or connect it right to the large positive solenoid terminal the mower starts even with turn over even with the key off. )

So it seems to me my problem is with this small white wire having no power to feed the solenoid but I followed it and it just goes into a another plug ( relay? ) and then back out and I believe up to the ignition. I am not sure what else to do with it now.

Thanks again!!!

I can get the mower to start now everytime by using a screwdriver or pliers to connect the two large terminals of the solenoid. Fires right up. I can do the same by jumping down to the starter. If I do not do that and the key is on the voltage at the starter is zero.

Also, I have resistance with the key on between the large terminals of the solenoid yet it won't start only if I jump the two.

I did check power to the two small terminals ( one black and one white at the bottom of solenoid, no power ). I have the wiring diagram but am not sure if those should have power just to start it. I think they are part of the clutch/brake wiring.

Oh and since I was at sears for the PTO part I got a back up ignition switch...I tried it just in case but nope. No go. So far I have only got the PTO back in order but not starting the mower.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / starting problem with Craftsman 22 HP model 917.275972
Power to the trigger ( white wire ) does a loop around the mower.
Starts at the hot side of the solenoid .
Goes to the B terminal on the starter switch by that thin red wire which usually has a fuse on it.
The starter switch connects the B to the S so check for 12 V there.
From there it goes to the PTO switch
From there it goes to either the Brake or neutral switches.
From there it goes to the neutral or brake switch which ever it did not go to before.
Then finally down to the trigger wire on the starting solenoid.

Now this is a chain so if any link is broken, no start.

Some of these switches are 4 or 6 wire jobbies, the black or green wires are generally the magneto kill circuit
The start wires are usually yellow, pink or orange and some will change colour at the switch just to frustrate you & pad my retirement fund.