Starter

ellahgrace20

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere 160t that won't start. I have replaced the ignition switch and starter solenoid (cheap). No luck. When I try to start I can hear the solenoid clicking. So I replaced the starter. Same result. It seems the starter is not engaging. Any ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove battery & take to auto parts store & ask them to please load test your battery, should not cost you anything. Be sure to install new battery with same CCA'S as old battery. Clean cables & apply a small amount of Dielectric Grease to cables & battery posts. Auto parts store may have small packets of Dielectric Grease at counter.

Last edited:

Telesis

Threads
After ensuring the battery is load tested and good(and cleaning all connections as stated above), try jumping across the solenoid and see if the starter engages properly. If it does, measure the voltage between the solenoid trigger wire and ground when you are trying to start. It's possible you still have excessive voltage drop and the solenoid is not pulling in all the way, and just clicking. It doesn't take much resistance in the safety switch and ignition switch circuit on these older tractors to cause this 'clicking problem'. I have a JD 170 with a 14hp Kaw and had the same problem. Rather than replace all the switches, I installed a 'Starting Improvement Relay' as shown here. That was several years ago and I've never had a starting problem since.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Starter-Relay-AM107421/dp/B07DF5JVDW

Why does this work? Because the solenoid coils on these engines pull a few amps and hence cause too much of a voltage drop to fully pull it in. What this kit does is put a heavy duty relay right near the starter and solenoid and the coil of this relay draws much less current. Less current >> less voltage drop through the components in the trigger circuit(switches, connections, etc) so it has no problem pulling in when you go to start. When it does, it connects the trigger wire from the solenoid right to the battery voltage available at the solenoid.

ellahgrace20

Forum Newbie
Threads
Load tested the battery and found it weak. Charged it and still weak. Replaced battery and all is well. Despite 12.6 volts across terminal, battery was too weak to engage starter. As Telesis said the voltage drop across the solenoid from a weak battery was enough to prevent the starter from engaging. Thanx for the help.

ellahgrace20

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm back. New battery and started up right away, ran for 15 mins. Put it away and 2 days later would not start. I don't hear the "clicking of the solenoid as I did before the battery replacement. When the key is turned it just has a high pitched whine. I need to check the battery voltage again, maybe the voltage regulator is bad??

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check all cables & connections for being tight & secure, free from rust, corrosion, etc. Rivets suggested checking ground straps from engine to frame, chassis, etc. Check voltage regulator at backside mounting for rust, corrosion, or loose mounting.
Does new battery have caps for cells? If so make sure they are full & if you need to add used distilled water. Wear Safety Glasses to protect your eyes.
Click on website above page 1, check 25 Amp circuit breaker, ignition coil with spark tester, Ignition module.

Last edited:

ellahgrace20

Forum Newbie
Threads
All connections have been checked and cleaned. Removed new battery and tested. It was weak. Something had drained the battery. Had it re-charged. Before placing it back in mower I replaced the voltage regulator. Same result, just a whining sound when trying to start. I know it seems I am just throwing parts at the problem but most are cheap and have never been replaced. I am back to measuring voltage between the solenoid and battery and solenoid and starter.

ellahgrace20

Forum Newbie
Threads
After ensuring the battery is load tested and good(and cleaning all connections as stated above), try jumping across the solenoid and see if the starter engages properly. If it does, measure the voltage between the solenoid trigger wire and ground when you are trying to start. It's possible you still have excessive voltage drop and the solenoid is not pulling in all the way, and just clicking. It doesn't take much resistance in the safety switch and ignition switch circuit on these older tractors to cause this 'clicking problem'. I have a JD 170 with a 14hp Kaw and had the same problem. Rather than replace all the switches, I installed a 'Starting Improvement Relay' as shown here. That was several years ago and I've never had a starting problem since.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Starter-Relay-AM107421/dp/B07DF5JVDW

Why does this work? Because the solenoid coils on these engines pull a few amps and hence cause too much of a voltage drop to fully pull it in. What this kit does is put a heavy duty relay right near the starter and solenoid and the coil of this relay draws much less current. Less current >> less voltage drop through the components in the trigger circuit(switches, connections, etc) so it has no problem pulling in when you go to start. When it does, it connects the trigger wire from the solenoid right to the battery voltage available at the solenoid.
This relay states it is not compatible with remotely mounted solenoids. The starter solenoid for the LT160 is mounted to the chassis.

Telesis

Threads
Your original post said you had a "160t" and I made the leap of faith that the "t" was a typo and you had a plain old 160 with a Kaw engine, for which the relay is intended. Can you please post the engine #s for us. I believe the lt160 is fitted with a Kohler. Also it would be helpful if you shared the results from your voltage measurements. Finally, is the whining sound from the starter motor as if its turning, but not engaging the flywheel?