Starter Solenoid or Ignition switch?

Cck

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I turn the key on my zt-2044 it clicks but doesn't turn over. I could jump the starter with a screwdriver on the solenoid so I replaced solenoid. Still just clicks when I turn the key. My next step is to replace the ignition switch. Any other ideas? TIA

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would check the battery first. If you have a VOM check the voltage at the battery with the key in the start position. If the voltage reads less than 10 VDC I would be replace the battery. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the trigger wire going to the solenoid
You should see battery voltage on it.
That wire is in a daisy chain from the kety switch through the PTO switch then the Brake switch and finally down to the solenoid.
Key switch is rarely ever the problem so trace the wire all the way before spending money on random part replacement.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like the relay isn't fully pulling in to engage the starter connection to the battery.

Check the voltage drop across the two small terminals. If not the reading or very close to same reading as the battery voltage you a voltage (loss) somewhere in the circuit to solenoid positive or in the return ground line. Next would be to the positive line to solenoid with one lead one the plus [+] terminal of the battery and the other on the plus [+] terminal of the solenoid trigger coil there should little to no voltage reading. If fairly large reading anything over one volt you have in the positive circuit. Now do the same thing except using the negative [-] terminal and check if there a fairly voltage drop. If so then the problem is in the negative [-] circuit side.