Starter shaft stuck/tight

rigoletto

Threads
People,

MTD mower from 1998, tecumseh 13 HP engine. new battery, and voltage at starter shows only 6-7v but when red hot wire terminal is disconnected from the starter bolt it does show 12.7V, same as on battery terminal. So I removed the starter suspecting that was at fault and put it on the bench and the shaft is soooo tight, seems stuck. It turns with some force, then kinks/binds during turning by hand. The big "teeth" gears do not slide up/down the worm gear (it is supposed to, I guess).

Engine is OHV130, starter has #'s on it: 36914 and 38026.

I hate to start taking it apart as I fear I wont be able to put the magnets/springs back. Could one lube the shaft/worm gear and work back/forth? Other tips?

Thanks, people.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect that the magnets that are supposed to be glued to the outer housing are loose and broken, So probably nothing to loose taking it apart because most likely it is already junk.

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks, IL. I got 26 years out of it, not bad. But curious- do you think that would account for why I am getting only 6-7 v with started having been mounted on the mower? What would cause that? Now, where to buy a new one......There are 2 #'s listed on back of the starter- on top is the 36914, and below it is 38026. Do you know which # is the starter item/code #, for searching the correct one? Thanks!

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are getting 6-7 volts because the starter is shorted which is pulling more amps than the wiring can handle therefore causing a voltage drop. The best way to determine what starter you need is to look up the starter by using the model and specifications numbers from the engine tag. You have the OHV13 but you need the other 6 digits plus letter to properly looks up parts

rigoletto

Threads
You are getting 6-7 volts because the starter is shorted which is pulling more amps than the wiring can handle therefore causing a voltage drop. The best way to determine what starter you need is to look up the starter by using the model and specifications numbers from the engine tag. You have the OHV13 but you need the other 6 digits plus letter to properly looks up parts

Thanks, IL. The engine plate shows ohv13-206820B (H). But are the #'s stamped on the starter itself useless (the 36914)? Why are they stamped on the starter?

rigoletto

Threads
This one matches that #:

But my original starter has 4 bolt holes not 2, for the mounting plate. Does it really matter if I mount it with just 2 bolts and not all 4?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, IL. The engine plate shows ohv13-206820B (H). But are the #'s stamped on the starter itself useless (the 36914)? Why are they stamped on the starter?
Not really it is just an old number that has been superseded.
1713716438597.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This one matches that #:
But my original starter has 4 bolt holes not 2, for the mounting plate. Does it really matter if I mount it with just 2 bolts and not all 4?
Apparently the newer starter has just the two top ones now.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tecumseh went from the 4 bolt system to the 2 bolt in the early 2000's seems like there was a bulletin discussing it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tecumseh went from the 4 bolt system to the 2 bolt in the early 2000's seems like there was a bulletin discussing it.
Good to know as I came in as Tecumseh was leaving the small engine business (2009).