Starter motor on Quantum engine

nbpt100

Threads
Starter motor on a Quantum engine not working. I have tested the switches and wiring and the problem is in the motor. It is getting power. I removed the starter (P/N: 799045) and inspected the gear reducer, bendix drive and wiring. With a Multimeter I am getting low resistance from the power wire to ground. What I have noticed is that the motor turns hard by hand. I sprayed some penetrating fluid over the bearings on both end but still no luck in getting it to turn easier or work at all. This is an expensive part and appears to be sold as a complete assembly. Except for the bendix drive. Which of course is not my problem. Can I get just the electric motor and not the entire assembly? It does not appear so, but i may be wrong. There are no numbers or markings on it to get any clue as to who makes it. The electric motor does not appear to be able to be disassembled. Even if I could I question if I could get it back together as the spring loaded brushes prevent re-assembly. Any ideas? I know this is a tough one. It if was easy I would not be asking. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Short answer, you’re going to have to replace the entire starter. Repairing would cost almost as much as a new starter. Don’t be penny wise pound stupid.

nbpt100

Threads

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
doesn't appear you can get any electric internals...
all you can get is gear drive parts, for nearly $70

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
or you can get a Stens

Stens 435-009​

which is also made by Arrowhead....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve rebuilt more starters than most techs have replaced, and probably have the parts available in my garage to rebuild it. Could you find some electrical to rebuild it, yes but the cost of rebuilding would not be worth it. It might be bad bearings, bad armature, brushes or brush carrier breakdown. Could even be a magnet let loose. That’s why I made the comment I did. You want to throw money at rebuilding or replacing with used, go ahead, but don’t say you weren’t worned. Question you need to ask yourself, is the unit worth the price of a starter to you?

nbpt100

Threads
I appreciate all of the replies. My initial hope was someone may have a good used one they would not mind selling..... or I would learn of a replacement motor for this model. I know some B&S starters have more replacement part options. It would appear this one does not. Those were the easier ways out. Now I have to decide what is worth doing. I fully understand the risks of buying used. I buy more used stuff than most people. I may try to take it apart and evaluate what may be wrong before I do anything else. It may be a simple fix. I do not have much to lose. As it is now the only parts of any use are the drive parts.