starter howl

jcworks

Threads
Pull it and lube it up, it's probably on it's last legs , starters are not very expensive , sounds like this one has given you about all it can .
Before I buy a new one I think I will try to lube it before I go out and buy one. It looks like just two bolts holding it on; not too difficult. What part of the starter should I lube .... and, do you recommend a particular type lubricant?

Bertrrr

Threads
When you have it off the machine You'll be able to tell what's worn visually I'd imagine, clamp it tight and apply 12 volts via jumper cables or some such , one end to the housing the other just touch off on the connector, it will / should spin like hell and tell you something, you don't need to hold it on the terminal , just hit it a few times and watch it spin up and listen.

jcworks

Threads
When you have it off the machine You'll be able to tell what's worn visually I'd imagine, clamp it tight and apply 12 volts via jumper cables or some such , one end to the housing the other just touch off on the connector, it will / should spin like hell and tell you something, you don't need to hold it on the terminal , just hit it a few times and watch it spin up and listen.
I think its the gear that engages the flywheel. There was a whole lot of play in it.