starter howl

jcworks

Threads
I have a Toro Timecutter MX5060, Kawasaki FR691V 23hp engine. When I start it after its set up awhile, say a week or so or longer, the starter makes a howling sound. It never fails to engage or start up but I'm thinking maybe a bearing or something is bad. Its been doing this for several seasons so its nothing new. I've just never bothered with it since it does start up. If I stop mowing for a water break, then go back to mowing it doesn't make the howl. I'm not a small engine mechanic but I can do some things; I'm wondering if I can take the starter off and see if I can see why the noise is there, buy parts and fix, or just ignore it, or just get a new starter. I've seen some on Amazon for about $40 but they all are made in China.

Bertrrr

Threads
Pull it and lube it up, it's probably on it's last legs , starters are not very expensive , sounds like this one has given you about all it can .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Pull it and lube it up, it's probably on it's last legs , starters are not very expensive , sounds like this one has given you about all it can .
My starter on my Scag with Kohler Command is howling. 1900 hours with OEM starter, and probably on its last legs.

jcworks

Threads
Bert, any suggestions on where to buy one? Amazon and Ebay seem full of them but they're all made in China. But maybe local Toro dealers' starters are too. Who knows.

packardv8

Threads
Several brands/makes/hp of engines use the same starter. I've got a lightly-used Kohler Courage 22hp starter on the shelf as a spare. Post the p/n and a photo of yours and if they're the same, I'll make you a heckuva deal.

jack vines

jcworks

Threads
Several brands/makes/hp of engines use the same starter. I've got a lightly-used Kohler Courage 22hp starter on the shelf as a spare. Post the p/n and a photo of yours and if they're the same, I'll make you a heckuva deal.

jack vines
Packardv8, I'm probably not much help but a photo is attached. I'm not totally sure but looking online.....I "think" the part # is 21163

Attachments

• 20240626_125615.jpg
    20240626_125615.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 2