starter drive gear and ringgear

pipeproducer

Forum Newbie
Threads
went to a john deere shop. they had no answer for why it strips everything out(ring gear and starter drive gear). ring gear i bought new is half gone, but i put a new starter gear on and every time i tried to start it the plastic flew. if it caught just right on a good spot on the ring gear it would turn it over but i would loose more of the teeth on the starter drive gear.. a new starter is 100.00 and change, oem ring gear is theyu say 50.00 and change. lot of money for oem parts with the same results. no help or ideas from the shop. thats why im on this forum, any help would be great. thanks, rich b

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Looking at parts tree at the starter, i counted 16 teeth on the original Briggs and Stratton starter.
"someone said the valves need to be adjusted. dont know what that has to do with it. "
if the valves are out of adjustment, it will cause the engine to turn over hard... A normal adult human should be able to power through the compression stroke by turning the flywheel with your hands
lash spec's are
.004" .006 Intake valve
.007"-.000" exhaust valve.

videos all over the interscreen on how to adjust them.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My suspicions are either the new ring gear is egg shaped and not round causing intermittent contact with the teeth, or the top bearing on the crankcase is worn and allowing the flywheel to wobble as it rotates.

Tinkerer200

Threads
You need to know what starter gear you need before ordering starters or gears. I once used after market starter gears but became wiser and only used genuine B&S starter gears in my repair business. No need to buy a new starter because of stripped gear.

Compression Release/Valve adjustment will not cause what you are describing. Actually most people I know of replacing Ring Gears replace nylon with steel.

Walt Conner